1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

From 3d Print to Molding

Discussion in 'Projects' started by sammie, Aug 17, 2014.

1. sammie

sammie Member

I printed one Robo 3D feet to rise my machine for the XXL display, then I made a mold from that piece in silicone. after one night I filled the silicone mold with Smooth-Cast 65D White. These are the results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I'm making parts to upgrade my machine I'm going to first print it and then mold and cast it in plastic, I've got different kind of castings laying around from flexibel plastics to rock solid black.

7 people like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The castings look great.

Where do you get the materials to do this ? Is Smooth-Cast 65D White generally available?

EDIT : I can see Amazon have it.

3. sammie

sammie Member

And http://www.formx.eu/ is where I get it (This shop is based in Amsterdam and Barcelona...so I just drive 20 minutes to Amsterdam and get my stuff there)

Smooth-Cast 65D white is a good plastic that cures very quick, like 15-20 minutes and you can take it out of the mold.
    Another excellent product is Smooth Cast Onyx Fast, it's a deep black liquid plastic that has good heat resistant and a cure time of 10-15 minutes.
    And Onyx Fast has low viscosities, so they are easy to mix and pour.

4. multimake

multimake New Member

Hi Sammie,
    This is really cool.. I always wanted to do something like this..
    How did you make the mold? Can you make a simple guide for doing this?
    I am in Spain so the shop in Barcelona is perfect for me.

Regards

5. Steve K.

Steve K. Member

Good idea, good job

6. sammie

sammie Member

It's so easy BUT REMEMBER : you're going to make an exact copy of your original....that means that if you original has bents,holes,scratches, or anything else that is ugly you see the results back in the copy.....every copy.
    Mold Making Tutorial :

and casting just works the other way, pour just enough Smooth-Cast 65D or any other material in the mold. Let it cure for 15-20 minutes and take it out.....next ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#6 sammie, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
    4 people like this.
  7. multimake

multimake New Member

There is an error with your last 3 uploaded pictures.. try using another image hoster.. here they appear as broken links..
    I'm going to buy some things for starting.. do you have any recommendation for beginners?

8. sammie

sammie Member

fixed the photo´s, thanks for the tip :)

I only worked with Smooth-On products, for casting Smooth-Cast 65D or ONYX® FAST (both relative fast curing products)
    For fast curing products you have to get everything ready before you begin, you don't have time to fool around.

For the mold itself I use Mold Star 15, it has a demold time of 4 hours and a pot life of 50 minutes. Great to slow everything down because the mold is the most important piece in this process.

2 people like this.