1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fuzzy/Rough after 20ish layers.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by NickW, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickW

NickW New Member

Hey folks, I am starting to print with my robo after too long of a hiatus. I have fixed my problems with the print detaching from the bed. Now when I print after many good looking clean layers, the layers start to become fuzzy/rough from the head dragging. I wonder why this could be, why does it seem to start dragging after 20 or so layers. I figure this is the problem as the layers seem to look better when I manually adjust the screws to raise a small amount. Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The initial Z home/layer height is probably off.

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

My experience of this was caused by the hobbed bolt and temp settings. After things heated up (20 layers or so) the feed rate messed up the print. However, even after getting those two things narrowed down, I was still getting problems and ended up switching from an e3d to a hexagon hot end. Once initial teething problems were solved (it was a beta model hot end), everything has been working just I need. Love the hex.

2 people like this.
  4. NickW

NickW New Member

Hmm it seems like it is a layer height thing. The reason I think this is that my last few prints I have noticed the head dragging making a poor first layer but if I raise the head a little so this isnt happening the filament doesn't stick to the bed when a new piece starts...hmm any help is appreciated.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Have you tried blue painters tape or glue stick?

6. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Also be sure your zaxis isnt slipping. If you get nice clean layers and then start dragging later on it sounds like the threaded rods are not spinning with the motor or the motor is not spinning enough. Good luck

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Do a quick little test home all axis and the raise the z axis say 30-40mm and look at the top of the threaded rod and the how much is wobbling when ideally set it it should have a little wobble as possible this will be visible in your prints as the z height gets larger and could be part of what you are seeing.

Another thing to check is that the smooth rod supports are stable and not cracked they should always be very rigid if the wobble at all then the supports are cracked or the actual rod is not seated properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.