1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved General troubleshooting questions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by lars-atx, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lars-atx

lars-atx New Member

Hi everyone, new to the forum and 3d printing. Been reading like crazy (FAQ, forum, etc), and now have so many questions, but I don't know what I don't know. ;)

Just got my printer on Friday, after some minor issues (mostly me not reading/watching videos) I got some prints going. Brand new model w/ auto level system and 8mm rods, i dont know how to check FW version yet.

1. I've started having problems w/ the filament not feeding correctly. As i retract and pull the filament, it seems to be stalling and the gear is eating its way half way thru filament. I peeked in there and gear looks pretty full w/ filament. Is this normal? If i remove the spring loaded piece that filament is between, how tight do is right tension for that part.

2. I couldn't find a maintenance schedule guide/tear down guide. Are there any with newest model info?

3. There is some movement in the z axis rods, both threaded and smooth. is this normal? One of the smooth rods is pretty solid, so I am guessing no wiggle is what we want here.

4. From what I have read, the E3D v6 is a major upgrade to improve quality of prints. I assume this is the version I want if i get one. v6 HotEnd Full Kit - 1.75mm Universal (with Bowden add-on) (12v) is converting to Bowden worth it? I am still researching all this involves.

thanks in advance,
    larry

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is called unconsciously incompetent. Recognizing it is step one -- you will learn.

If this is PLA, seriously consider adding an oiler.
    At a minimum season the hotend.

Normal. The smooth rods hold everything in place. If those are moving check the mounts at the base.

Yep, full kit. Bowden I will leave others to comment on. It has advantages and disadvatages. Someone (like @Mike Kelly) who has converted can better speak to this.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. and welcome to the forum!

4. lars-atx

lars-atx New Member

Thanks Mark, its good to be here. Hope to ramp up quick and start helping others.

Yes, the Z axis smooth rods. It appears the top of the smooth bar is in these plastic extrudes, but they are too big to stabilize top of bar. Am I missing a bushing or something on the bar end?

I'll look into an oiler or seasoning the hotend.

One last question, If I am only printing in PLA right now, should the large fan (40mm) that is pointed at bed be on all the time? Only the 25mm fan pointed at hotend seems to be on.

thanks
    larry

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No the larger fan is called the parts cooling fan. It will not always be on.
    The fan on the side of the hotend will always be on.

There are some mods posted on the forum you can print to further stabilize the smooth rods if you are having issues with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.