1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Getting the whistle to work...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nic Phillips, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Nic Phillips

Nic Phillips New Member

So, I just printed the whistle that came as a stock model with the Robo 3D version of Matter Control. Overall, the print came out pretty nice in general. However, there is a ball inside the whistle that is printed attached to the inside wall, which needs to be detached for the whistle to actually function. Has anyone else printed this and found a means of cutting loose this ball? Any pointers? I have a student at our school who is excited to have the whistle and would like to get it working for her if at all possible. Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The ball should be loose (not attached to the wall) if the printer is dialed in and working correctly.
    You might can use a paper clip or something to knock it loose if it is not to strongly welded to the wall.

3. Nic Phillips

Nic Phillips New Member

Hmmmm, how is that possible? That would mean the ball was printed in mid air. I can see a tiny, one-layer-thick dot beneath the ball in the STL, but can't imagine our printer being so precise that it doesn't adhere the ball to the whistle by more than that. If it should be capable of this, can you advise on steps I should take to better calibrate our printer (or point me to a forum that does)?

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

When I printed it I just jabbed the ball with a butter knife and it started flopping around in the whistle like it should.

Actual whistle quality sucks though.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not at all. The layers are distinct it should not be fused. I printed this (for example) and soon as it completed I could spin the center part. It is NOT stuck:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:595914

Just because two layers touch does not mean they should bond.