1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Good way to clean hex hotend?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mediaguru, Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Okay, so I am having issues with my replaced hexagon hotend. Tried a print, it got about 1/4-1/2" up, then started failing.

Re-tried several times, same issue (in more or less, but not exactly, the same spot)

Then I tried some manual extrusion and noticed it wasn't working.. .then saw this new hotend was leaking again!

Cleaned the leak, tightened it up (again), and it started extruding again... but it seems like a rather thin line, and it curls up into a loop or bunches up at the nozzle when I do the Extrude button (rather than dropping straight down)

What's worse is that it will extrude for a while (2-3 layers) in the print, then just stop coming out altogether.
    I've tried modifying the temps, but to no avail (it was looking better on manual extrude at 205, but failed to extrude after a couple layers)

I feel like that leak clogged it up a bit inside perhaps, but not sure of a good way to clean the PLA out. At this point, I'm afraid to disassemble it at the screw-in, for fear it will strip/break like it did last time I tried this... is there any other good way to clean the tube and nozzle?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Curling and bunching up isn't that unusual when just extruding above the bed. Any gunk on the nozzle and it curls up.

First make sure the fan on the hexagon fins is running properly. This is one possible reason for failure part way into the print.

If the extruder fan is all ok then your description of the problem sounds more like the hobbed bolt is not pushing the filament through the extruder properly. Suggest you check the extruder hobbed bolt springs are tight and the filament is not just being "chewed" by the hobbed bolt.

Another check is to heat up the extruder (at least 190c) , undo the hobbed bolt springs and push the filament through by hand. The filament should extrude by hand with gentle pushing. Then pull the filament back out of the extruder. Snip off the few centimeters of melted plastic and push the filament through gently by hand again. This should also help clean any residual plastic out of the extruder.

If you are still having problems pushing the PLA through by hand, then many users with the all metal hot ends find that oiling the PLA (with canola or similar) makes a big difference. There are a few threads on the forum with "oiler" designs and tips.

#2 Ziggy, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Seasoning the hotend and using an oiler is essential for printing with PLA.

4 people like this.
  4. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

I'm getting that impression. Will do. (although dropping the temp a few degrees from default also seems to be helping; extruding at 205-207 now instead of default 210)

5. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I went down to 190 cause I thought all my prints looked slightly melted. so far so good for me. is there a video anywhere showing just how to season a hotend or using an oiler. I have read what they were but still a little fuzzy and seeing always helps me.

6. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Hmmm... @mark tomlinson was, I think, the one who kept recommending to it and swearing by it, so maybe he has one. I haven't seen any, but the descriptions elsewhere on this forum are pretty straightforward: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/seasoning-and-an-oiler.3564

I imagine to season it, you would need to run an oiled filament through (perhaps a higher-temp material like nylon, coated with oil... or perhaps regular PLA will work, just extrude it through. Or maybe you can even just drip oil down in... I've never been sure of the seasoning part of things); as for oiling, there is a model somebody made, available on Thingiverse, I just printed it out today. It will hold a cotton ball or some wadded-up paper towel, soaked with (but not dripping) high temp oil (vegetable or canola), with the filament running through the middle and brushing up against the oil, collecting some as it goes down. I assume this just sits right above the extruder clamp.

http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/my-oiler.2979/#post-25310

7. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

PS. I haven't used the oiler yet, but definitely plan to. I got a PLA clog in the middle of a hex hotend, and it was sort of a nightmare. Might've been caused by hotend fan failing, but better safe than sorry, because when all was said and done I had to completely replace the hotend...

8. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I think out of all the mods I want to do, none is more on my mind then larger slower moving fans having the printer next to my computer is going to drive me mad! its got to be the loudest thing in my house other then the kids. :) but they dont sit right next to me for 4-8 hours at a time.

9. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Pretty loud, yes. I think part of that is due to the new hex all-metal hotend (these require non-stop fans), and partly because it is not an enclosed case (many printers have the enclosed case, MakerBot style, and I would've preferred that... but had to sacrifice somewhere. The way the RoBo is set up, an enclosed case is pretty unwieldy... I've seen a few DIY ones, but don't plan to do it myself)

10. Jsn9955

Jsn9955 Member

I've been running an "oiler" since day 1... Just took a kitchen sponge, cut it into a square with a slit in it, and put it on the filament above the slot in the top. Just been using Crisco brand vegitable oil as it's all I have, I read that pure Canola oil is better? Soak it in the oil, then squeeze out the excess oil into some paper towels so it leaves a thin film and isn't making a mess or running everywhere.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@Jsn9955 has just shown how really simple it can be :)

If you use the oiler then seasoning is moot -- it will do the seasoning.

(since I seldom have the top cover on anymore I can't use this approach, but I can appreciate its simplicity)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.