1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Got a decent print until layer 4

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ballhogjoni, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

Ok so i've taken suggestions from people on this forum, but now I'm running into another problem. When I am on layer 4 the nozzle of the extruder doesn't go high enough and starts to run into the current layer. This causes the already set filament to remelt and stick to the extruder. Therefore when the extruder lifts up to start at another point it pulls the entire object off the bed and moves it to another point. What can I do to fix this?

2. Matthias

Matthias Member

Does your extruder run parallel to the bed? Sounds like either side is higher/lower than the other. Sounds like a bed leveling issue to me.

3. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

@matthias i thought the same thing. I checked for that and i still have the same issue.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You could have two things going on one is I believe your initial layer height is incorrect the nozzle should not be able to remove the print from the bed surface with only the adhesion of a molten material there is something wrong there. If it comes off that easily it is not put down well enough on the first layer to get it to stick properly.

Secondly I would look at the amount of retract spacing you are using it could have something to do with the nozzle moving into the print.

5. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

@tesseract the first layer height is 0.35 mm. I've set my Layer height to 0.3 mm. Attached is a pic of my retraction settings.

Attached Files:

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

ok some information here I have read in several places that the first layer height should be 80% - 100% of the normal layer height you are at 150% as a starter I would set them both to be the same so based on what you said of wanting a 300micron print resolution (.3 layer height) set them both to .3

Now for retract try these settings either 0 for length to disable for now or set botht he length and lift to .2

NOW FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT PART

There is a difference between you first layer height and the initial layer height the former relates to the printing characteristics and the later relates to how high the nozzle is from the bed itself at the initial printing of the object.
    The latter is what I was referring to that height is set to high. You may have used a business card to help get the x axis level to teh bed but as the inital height guide it will leave you in most cases higher than you want to be it is a guideline to get you close but then you need to use teh z height adjustment screw to fine tune it.

Use a two loop skirt when you print and look at the skirt if itlooks good continue if it looks bad then adjust the z height and restart the print and repeat this short process until the skirt looks good and you continue with the print.

A good skirt will be flattened and completely solid please look around on the forum this issue has come up and the resoultion documented several times but this should get you started

7. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

Awesome thanks Jeff

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Using the spring-loaded bed supports tesseract provided meant that once I did the Z adjusted correctly, I pretty much never had to touch it again. Even then it would be minor adjustments on a corner somewhere :) They were a pain to install (not bitchin', just sayin') however well worth it.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

lol you need to take your mittens off when you do it Mark they are easy for me

10. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

Jeff took your suggestions and still can't print correctly. the nozzle still runs into the print. can't figure this out. i tried to pause the print and raise the nozzle manually, but when I continued printing the nozzle went back down into the print. completely lost at this point. I attached a zip of all the screenshots of my slicer settings. EDIT: I guess the zip file doesn't upload.

Attached Files:

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I see some major issues in some of these setting in both the filament setting and the print settings try and get ahold of me when we can go over this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.