1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Got my New Parts!! But theres no connection [emoji28]

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sergio8849, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

After impatiently waiting 3 days i finally got my parts!! However the connections for the hotend dont exist. I could take out the hotend from the new one and slide in the old one, however the old one is too long. And the connections clips (black things) dont hook up to nicely eaither :( its not a total lost though cause I know my way around a soldering iron, however for the braided red cables, which one is positive and which one is negative

*the old one is the one resting the the left of the extruder. Also the old hotend doesnt have a clip, it looks to just be soldered into some yellow and black cables*

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So, which hotend did you have on which printer (Beta/R1/R1+)?
    Which hotend did you get (and from where)?

The R1+ uses connectors to the electrical parts of the hotend (thermistor and heater core) and if you bought a new Hexagon from PartsBuilt or Robo it should have the correct connectors. If you didn't get a replacement one you can make it work by wiring new connectors yourself. The "too long" part should not matter as long as the hotend fits into the quick-release plate on the R1+ (or the carriage on the older models).

NONE of the connections to the hotend are polarity sensitive. +/- can go to either one for both the heater core (red wires) or the thermistor (black or blue wires usually)

3. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

I think its for an R1 but thats just from looking at the print bed. As for where I got the hotend, I got it from amazon. I dont remember seeing a black and blue cable though from my knowledge but I do remember a black and red connector that had the black tip at the end disconnected. Not sure if that is for the hotend or for another fan but talking back on the black and blue cable, I can check again when I get back home.

Btw* your awesome, just learned alot

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Look at the point on the bed where the threaded rods that lift the Z axis go underneath the bed. Is there a coupler there between the rod and the stepper motor? This is a coupler:

Coupleer.jpg

Or does the rod come directly out of the stepper motor? Like this:

Leadscrew.jpg

If it has couplers then it is an R1, if it has leadscrews then it is an R1+ (or an older machine that was converted)

5. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

If you want to buy more, you can search eBay, Amazon, or wherever for JST SM connectors. Those are the kind that are used for the hotend and thermistor (at the print head end).

6. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

Ok sweet I can confirm that this baby is an old school R1. Im about to start wiring up my extruder. Im just gonna cut the ends of the old hotend and solder in the leads from the new one as well as connect the black and red cables coming out of the new extruder to the black and reds of this mysterious missing connection and hope for the best

7. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

Ok is it just me or does somthing seem off?[​IMG]

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is the "socket" that the top of the finned/heatsink section of the hotend goes into.
    On the old models then the two screws (you can see one on the left there sticking out) would thread into the groove of the hotend and lock it into place. The screws (M3 - 25mm long) would ACTUALLY cut threads into the aluminum of the hotend to hold it... You only seem to have one of those screws installed in that picture...

You can add something like this (after you can print of course) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1192896 which would then hold it in place without having the screws cut into the hotend.

It doesn't damage the hotend for them to thread into the top, but it is difficult to get them to cut threads into a new hotend :)

Sergio8849 likes this.
  9. Sergio8849

Sergio8849 New Member

Ahhhh, okay thats awesome . I will print it right away, ive ordered some new couplers cause the ones I have now dont seem to thread very well, and i ended up breaking the extruder by yanking on the cables too hard . But the parts are coming Friday and I super excited! Ive also wired in a new controller screen! Super proud of that

mark tomlinson likes this.