1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Greetings from NJ

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by peter hagemeyer, Jan 13, 2014.

1. peter hagemeyer

peter hagemeyer New Member

hi from NJ. software engineer here looking to have some fun with my new 3D printer. mostly working with ABS.

2 people like this.
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Hi Peter. Welcome! I'm relatively near to you in Newark,DE.

3. Billm

Billm Member

Hi from Baltimore. I would start with pla. Abs is much more difficult for me. Level level level.

4. Matheo Stravlas

Hi ! I don't know where to begin !

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

1) Be prepared to work on getting it dialed in (complicated prints require this--so start simple)
    2) Be prepared to ask a lot of questions :)
    3) Have fun.

6. Billm

Billm Member

I received blue pla and I am 99% sure you have pla. Follow the advice above and only work with pla till you get the hang of it. Definitely get hairspray. I started with the blue tape but ended up getting the best results with hairspray. However get the right hairspray. I used my wife's first and it didn't work. Check out the forums. I think I got aqua net. Can't emphasize enough of getting the bed level. I went to harbor freight and got feeler gauges. I homed the head (x=0 y=0) and measured the gap from the nozzle to the glass. Than I ran the head to x= 220 the far right and measured the gap. The goal is to get them equal by adjusting the left screw (the vertical threaded rod). Once you have the same gap left and right move the y axis to the back of the glass to check the front to back level. Whin I started the gap at the back was .010" on the left corner and .012" on the right corner more than the front. I loosened the glass hold down screws and the glass came up and closed the gap. I moved the head to the four corners and measured the distance between the nozzle and the glass. Then I got to tighten or loosen the four corners till I got then as close as I could. Then you have to adjust the z height limit switch. That is a 4mm X 50mm screw on the right side of the head carriage. Screwing down on the screw raises the gap of the nozzle. Backing off the screw lowers the gap. I set my gap to .002".what you have to remember is that this is an electrical switch so that each time you make an adjustment first raise the z axis up 1 mm first. Then make the adjustment of the z axis screw then hit the home button. This moves all axis to 0 0 0. The keep adjusting the z axis till you get it right. Also remember that when you adjust the large left screw for nozzle height it also moves the right screw. They are electrically coupled so make sure you hold the other from moving when you adjust the left screw. Believe me it took me a month to figure it out although it is spelled out many times in these forums.

7. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Welcome! Fellow NJ printer my self. Have fun and when you get aggravated enough to hit the printer walk away for a day or two. As one of the first people to get a printer I can say the people who get the best results do so from working WITH the printer and learning it just like you would a new car. You have to learn all the little quirks that make it YOURs.