1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Grinding When I hit extrude

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JE Studios, Mar 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Good Afternoon All,

So I just recently updated my R1+ to a E3D v6 hotend and all seems to have gone well , that is until I ran into a snag once I got some new pla in from robo. Seems I might have goofed somewhere during the install or forgot to do something that is and I have one come to the professionals who might have run into this issue or maybe point me in the correct direction on what to check but it seems now when I have everything hooked up the printer does not want to extrude the filament at instead makes a grinding sound like its stuck or I put something back on incorrectly. I have taken a video with my phone to give you an idea any help would be SUPER!

Thanks in advance :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like the hobbed bolt is unable to turn. Did you adjust it in any way?
    It has a jam nut on the end of the bolt that is what gets tightened to the other nut, but you should still be able to easily turn the bolt itself.

Can you manually turn the extruder?

Hard to say because it could just as easily be the stepper motor skipping steps (they make a noise when they do that).

3. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

I have not messed with the hobbed bolt at all and I can manually turn the gears just fine no issues at all and I can see the hobbed bolt moving as well like normal.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, then it is probably the stepper driver not providing enough current to the stepper.
    It is that or the stepper itself is dying.

The simply way to test if you do NOT have spares is to swap that stepper (where it connects on the RAMPS) to another port (X, Y, Z, etc) and see if it will move there (power back up and manually try to run the axis you swapped it to).

If it will work on another axis then it is the stepper driver. Same failure on another axis -> bad stepper motor.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have spares :) Simply swapping the stepper driver board would work.
    Swap the driver and if it still fails it is the stepper motor.

6. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

and it dying can happen just for upgrading the hot end? as it was working fine before the upgrade hardly used printer to be honest lol..

7. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Also could this happen if I have the power cables backwards? cause I remember both cables that connect to what I assume is this

Stepper Board New Egg

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Which power cables? To the stepper, the hotend?

If you reverse the stepper motor wiring it will simply run backwards.
    The extruder heater core is non-polarity sensitive. The thermistor for the extruder is non-polarity sensitive.

reversing either of those is a non-issue and you should not have needed to mess with the stepper motor.

9. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Ok just wanted to make sure I did mess up anything during the install that would cause this to all of sudden start to do this since the printer was used like maybe 3 times since purchase. Also would it be correct in saying the above line is the board you were referencing? or is there another or am I headed in the wrong direction sorry dont know the printer that well lol..

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your ramps board (in an R1+) may look slightly different, but it functions the same.
    R1+ will also have 5 stepper drivers installed where this one only has 4.

#11 mark tomlinson, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  12. JE Studios

JE Studios Member

Awesome thank you for the information, just a small update to this I decided to poke around a little more and decided to flash the stock firmware back to normal from the edits I tried for the E3dv6 and its back to normal working order so must have been something I did trying to edit and upload the firmware. Will continue to monitor and report :) again thanks for the help Mark you are awesome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.