1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

hard prints

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Sweet Goals, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Sweet Goals

Sweet Goals New Member

Hi guys, I've been trying to print an adjustable wrench and I just can't get it to work on the robo 3d. I was wondering what are some steps I can take to to get it to work? What do people do to prepare the print for mechanical prints? My next idea is to try and slow down the printer and increase the mount of filiment the printer puts out. Is this a good idea?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If the printer is calibrated or setup correctly nothing extra needs be done. Without knowing what failures you have it is impossible to suggest a way to fix it.

General things to do:
    Calibrate the extruder.
    Make sure the printer is working correctly by printing a calibration cube and measuring it to see that it is correctly sized in all dimensions.

3. Sweet Goals

Sweet Goals New Member

I'll do that. I have printed the test cube off, but I just made sure it was a cube and the layers looked good. I never thought of measuring it.

What other ways do you test to make sure the printer is actually working well? I have some test things, but I'm not really sure what to be looking for and even if I found it I'm not sure what I could be doing. I do see defects in the print, but not really sure what any of them are called and I don't really have a good place to go to see how to fix them.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Also, the rule of thumb I read somewhere about printing an assembly at once (like a ball-bearing, or maybe the adjustable wrench), is to have .5mm of space minimum between the assembled part surfaces in your 3d model.

Naturally, if you're printing something off of Thingiverse vs. something you designed yourself, you can't really know if the model was made correctly to allow that much space/follow that rule.