1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

have you ever spent a HUGE amount of time tweaking your settings....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bill Monroe, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

Only to discover it was the filament that was crap the whole time?

oh ya, I did it. temp adjustments.. made a filament oiler... speed adjustments.. failed prints and failed prints and failed prints.... finally changed to a different spool... Presto!

Filament company blacklisted.
    Filament destined for the weekwacker

2. Jim K

Jim K Member

and the Filament company was....?

3. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

lol weedwacker, might have to try that, seems it might be to brittle though.

2 people like this.
  4. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

The posting was an expression of frustration culminating in joy... I'm not here to pan or degrade the reputation of any vendor.

I will say that when I put some Dark Green 1.75 PLA of colorFabb XT I bought from printedsolid.com on the machine, I could almost hear my Robo thank me... this stuff prints like buttah..

#4 Bill Monroe, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

hard to go wrong with colorFabb and they will fix it if you get a bum spool.

2 people like this.
  6. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I want some colorfabb but the money. is it really worth it?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are getting good results from the cheap spools (available all over the place) then run with it.
    If you want consistently excellent results with no filament failures... yea, worth it.

I have a lot of cheap spools and use them daily, sometimes you want guaranteed awesome.

8. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

anyone ever done a ranking list ? I have only ever used the robo stuff. but at $40 us a roll that seems expensive here in Canada I can get it for $24 a roll. $40 a month dose not seem like much I guess but its still feels wrong paying almost twice as much for something. I don't drive a lambo for this reason :)

The colorfabb stuff looks like its $50 a roll and coming from Europe the shipping might be crazy. But something still makes me want to give it a try. At least the metal stuff.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The specialty filaments are remarkable. There are several examples on here (pictures).

10. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

Well considering I've never had a bum print with colorFabb, and I never got a good print with the $24 brand-X stuff.. colorFabb is cheap!
    PrintedSolid.com is somewhere on the north east coast, cant recall exactly, but he ships pronto and I usually see it in under a week.
    I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I know the owner has been known to troll the groups here...
    I have no idea what getting it though the Mounties is like.. last time I was there I was visiting childhood friends that were "cconscientious objecters"

#10 Bill Monroe, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  11. Brad T

Brad T New Member

I have been using Hatchbox PLA I bought off Amazon and it has not given me any issues. I would hesitate saying it is "the best", as there are much better out there, but for $25 USD for a 1KG spool, it is the best I have found in it's price range. I am planning on using colorFabb for prints that are "final product" and need little touch up/finishing. The Hatchbox is great for prints I plan on throwing out when I am done though.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I have bought a lot of filament from various places (eBay and Amazon among them) and frankly for ABS or PLA it all just worked.

Nothing finicky or problematic. I prefer the better quality filament and now use the cheap stuff for throw-away experiments or prototyping and generally use a decent name-brand type for whatever I am doing if it is finish quality. The differences in behavior are not massive, but I am always going to get a better flow-n-finish from the better filament.

Since I do a fair amount of the prototyping/experimenting it works out cost wise.

13. BrianFraz

BrianFraz Member

I just found out Monoprice.com has a 3d printer, but more importantly filament. I have no idea if it is any good, but if their cable quality is any indicator, it should be pretty awesome stuff. Ordered some ABS, will try printing with when I have a chance.

14. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

I'm running with Monoprice's ABS. It works well. Not had any real jams or any issues related to the filament (Kickstarter edition printer =). I see their selection has expanded.. When I bought mine two years ago they had red, white, and black. And I've only used the white/black so far.

However, I've not been an heavy duty printer. Mostly because I have other side projects that keep me busy.. Maybe 2016 when I off-load a few responsibilities. =)

2 people like this.
  15. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

YES!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KDYM7TK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

J U N K. Dried it, tuned it... it must have junk in it or poor uniformity. Prints fine for 4 hours, then just doesn't extrude for a layer... then goes back to printing, then fails again... then clogs the head... then I break the hexagon head trying to fix it and have to buy a new one...
    I still haven't thrown it away either ! I'm an idiot. Give me a month, I'll be trying to make it work again!