1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Heat element slowly loses the heat battle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Island Bill, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Island Bill

Island Bill Active Member

I've recently been getting some odd behavior with "TEMP FALL ERROR" stopping prints. The heat element in the extruder slowly loses the battle of maintaining temperature until finally the hot end gives up with the above error. I know what the error means, before we cover that ground again ;)

At first I suspected that the heat bed was drawing too much power, as I noticed that it was fluctuating quite a bit which suggested the heat pad had lost contact and was sucking up amperage to compensate. I discovered that this was true, so I reattached it and the fluctuations in the bed went away. This worked for a while, but the problem with the heat element in the nozzle has crept back. I've checked the heat pad for the bed and it's secure, and the temps on that thermistor are pretty consistent, but he nozzle keeps sliding down the sandy slope.

Is it possible to kick up the power from the stock power supply using that little adjustment screw to the left of the outputs?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, that will raise the voltage somewhat, but I am not sure if that will solve your issues (easy to try I suppose).
    Bear in mind that increasing it may put a bit more load as well on the regulators for the Arduino/Ramps (they have some step-downs on board). Probably not a huge deal.

You might want to consider upgrading the P/S to 24v. You need to (obviously) still feed the electronics 12v (step-down regulator in-line would work). The bed heater is good with 24v versus 12.

Island Bill likes this.
  3. Island Bill

Island Bill Active Member

As it turns out, the adhesive I was using on the thermistor for the hot end had failed again. So I've reinstalled it using glass glue (since the thermistor is glass) and we'll see how that does. I'll let you all know. Thanks for the input.

4. Frankn

Frankn Member

I use Permatex copper gasket cement on my thermisitor with no boot.
    I put the thermistor in the hole, then put the nozzle of the cement over the hole and squeeze.
    I then put a layer around the whole hot head. It has held up nice, and that blasted boot is now gone. The boot droops and causes prints to break loose. Good luck, Frank

Island Bill likes this.