1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Heated bed shorting out, anyone else

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wthierry, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

So I have been printing for 2 days nicely. Today I preheated my bed, then pushed home all axis button.. Immediately the heated bed starts cooling.... If I move it out a bit and then re-connect, I can get it to heat again... I assume this means its shorting out somewhere.... anyone else having these kinds of problems? I know I can open it up and look inside, just wondering if anyone else has been having similar issues

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

How hot are you heating the bed?
    It may have a firmware setting to eStop it at a certain point. I have not checked the firmware recently, but there was at least one release that capped it at 80 if memory serves. If that is the case there should be some feedback in the terminal window for your software.

Assuming that isn't it, then check the connections to the RAMPS board. There have been some that drew too much current to the bed heater and damaged that portion of the controls. If so you will likely see burnt connections.

3. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

no, just trying to preheat to 50.... it gets there, will stay there till I home the y axis.... moving other axis has no effect, which makes me think there is a short in the cable

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Or a loose connection to the RAMPS. Definitely check it out.

(BTW: that limit is crap, myself and others have run it as high as 110, but it takes a long time to get there and stabilize with 12v supply).

5. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

yea, not looking forward to taking the case apart, but oh well.....

6. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

ok, did that, little fan unplugged when I removed the cover. Going to just leave the cover off anyway in case it happens again...

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just make sure the fan is plugged back in :)

8. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

started printing, and it turned off again. not much movement on the board, short must be under the heated bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.