1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello From Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Red Submarine, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

Hello all,

Just put in the order for an ABS/PLA last night. So excited, don't want to wait 4-6 weeks :(

I plan to do some fun stuff with it. Could anyone refer me to an area of the interwebs where people are pushing what we can do with these? I'm comfortable with arduino and others and would like to help develop new ways to use these printers (now that I've ordered one I'll finally be able to experiment with one).

Also, do people have a preferred place to buy filament or other materials for the printer? I saw some websites have pretty cool materials, like wood filament. How about places to get the best deal on supplies?

Many thanks for your help, I'm excited to finally be apart of this community.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

the google+ 3d printing group has been pretty solid.

Besides that the reprap.org forums is also a good resource on new developments, as is their wiki

Our local PrintedSolid has a website that sells filaments like woodfill, and pla/pha colorfabb.

I've liked the robo 3d filament and prices so far, so I've gone with them for filaments.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Mike is being modest. If you dig around, Mike and a few others have been doing some cool things with modding the robo. look for posts from Mike, tesseract, leon grossman, melody bliss, and tonycstech to name a few. I'm sure I've left some out, but I've seen the most from those 5. Also check out the robo 3d users facebook page.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome Red I know you will enjoy it it is a very new and exciting field to be part of. You will have ups and downs as with all new products but hopefully the ups will be more frequent and we are here to help you with the other.

There is a LOT of information located right here on this forum so get your tools and get ready Printed Solid originally posted a great list of tools I added some as well one thing not on the list that I have found especially useful is the common metal deburring tool it helps a lot. Do lots of searches and do not hesitate to ask questions of anyone here.

Remember though your printer and your printing style will be unique to you and there may be several ways to get the same result so keep that in mind. You may find conflicting answers but that is the way of some things so you will have to experiment and come to your own conclusions.

Most importantly enjoy what you are doing and have fun

5. Red Submarine

Red Submarine Active Member

Thanks for the info guys. I've been doing a lot of reading in this forum (and others) and it seems like the online community, while intelligent, is relatively young on every forum I've found. There's a lot of info yet to be posted I think. It'll be a while until I get my printer in the mail anyways :( Until then maybe I'll just work on some new printing scripts/ideas.

Looking forward to being apart of the community.