1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

help b4 I quit.. prints coming out way offset pics included

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by derryck, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derryck

derryck New Member

Ok so ive had my printer for a few weeks now and im really frustrated. . Ive tried stalking forums now I need some input broke down to where I can understand it. So for those of you who dont mind speaking idot, please help me. My first print came out nice but has been all down hill since then. Attached are my latest tries and failes. It layes down the base layers really nice which is a long way from where it was. But im about done and this was a large investment for me... the first print was a frong came out good. The next were attempts were grocery bag handles from thing verse.

Here are my printer specs:
    Specifications:
    Model: 3D Printer
    Power: 300W
    Voltage 110V/60Hz,220V/50Hz
    Measurement: 16"x15-3/4"x16"(LxWxH)
    Weight: 40lbs
    Printing Feature:
    Printing Size: 7.8"x7.8'x7.8" Extruder: Dual Extruder
    Positioning accuracy(X,Y) 0.0025mm Automatic Grade: Automatic
    Positioning accuracy(Z) 0.011mm Filament: PLA,ABS,PVA
    Layer thickness: 0.1--0.3mm Compatibility: Linux,OSX,Windows
    Vertical Printing Speed: 15cm³/hour Interface: SD Card,USB cord
    Display Type: LCD Certification:  CE

Attached Files:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are these from an ultimaker?

Skipping is usually caused by a loose pulley or belt.

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Hi Derryck. Don't give up!
    The problem is that something is interfering with the motion of your axis causing the stepper motor to miss steps. It could be simple or you might need to make adjustments to the power output of your stepper driver output. We'll figure out which then get you sorted out.

Most of the home 3D printers use stepper motors. It is called a stepper motor because the shaft rotates in discrete partial turns called steps. There is no mechanism to tell the machine where the head is. It simply moves it say 50 steps y and 35 steps z. You have instructions in your firmware that translates number of steps to something meaningful to us like mm.

This all works really well as long as something doesn't cause the machine to lose it's place. For example, if your print head hits something or if a cable gets tangled, it will think it is moving 50 steps, but might be moving 0 steps because something blocked the motion. Then when it resumes motion, it has no idea it missed those steps and starts printing offset.

Which direction is the shift occuring in?

4. derryck

derryck New Member

Im not sure im really new at this. It was bought in hopes that I could use it for fun and to bring a little money into the home while still being with my kid. I feel like im way in over my head. I really hope this is fixable and I did.t screw myself buying it... the installation instructions have "Pongda Cube" on it and the lcd screen reads mbot.

5. Printed Solid

Staff Member

wait, there's no lcd screen on a robo3D printer.
    What printer do you have? We can try to help, but if you find a user forum for your printer, you're probably going to be able to find a quicker solution since they will know the common problems for your specific machine.

6. derryck

derryck New Member

Omg at the speedy reply and something that makes sense. Thank you so much. And please bare with me. What you said makes alot more sense then the technical mumbo and with that puts me at ease a little better. Now I may see where my problem may be. I have alot of play in one blet that I tried to fix after the one piece thag holds it snapped. I have a replacement part coming already and wont run it anymore until I get it. Attached is a pic of how lose the belt is. I cant get it any tighter untill the new part arrives. Could this be the problem? If your looking down at the build plate from the top the prints are shifting up and to the left.

Attached Files:

7. derryck

derryck New Member

I knlw its not a robo but im still trying to grasp the basics this is one of the more informative forums ive been on thats why I dipped into it. If I can get the basics down im sure I cnan translate it to my machine which I think is a knock off cube. Ive seen where something similar was happening to a few ppl in this forum more so then others so I felt the knowledge in here was better suited to answer these questions as my machine I cant find jack on.

8. Printed Solid

Staff Member

whoah. I can't believe you can print anything with a belt like that! Those belts need to be tight. I'm guessing it was pretty tight when you started printing then the prints got worse and worse as it came loose. You need to pull the belt out of the clips in that carriage and pull it taut.
    If the little bracket pieces that hold the belts to the top of the carriage are broken, you can't print until you get a replacement or jury rig something.
    Still not sure what machine you have exactly, but it appears to be a replicator 1 clone of some kind. Check the Flash Forge google group to get some good community support.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm not familiar with those but in the picture it looks like the belts connect on the black plastic part with the linear bearings and smooth rods supporting the x axis. There should be a way of tightening the belts from there.

10. derryck

derryck New Member

Thank a bunch printed solid im heading over there now. Im not gonna print nemore till I replace that. I attached a few more pics of my machine to help better identify it should you want to I understand this isnt the right printer for me to be in here and appreciate the help so far.

Attached Files:

11. derryck

derryck New Member

Thank you too mike! The part that holds the belts in place snapped and I glued them on but theyve became loose over time. Replacing this would be a great place to start then? Ive already got new parts on the way the whole piece is being replaced that hold the rods amd belt.

12. Printed Solid

Staff Member

13. derryck

derryck New Member

You guys are above awesome ty so much! Any other suggestions that anyone is willing to throw out there till I get it fixed is more then welcome altho I will be waiting on the new part to print anything else and pray that that solves the problem. Ty ty ty

14. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

where did you buy that printer?

15. derryck

derryck New Member

Where you get what you pay for ebay...

16. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Once you get your replacement part i suggest you print your own spare parts first to save you time if issues occur in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.