1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Help! Wires to stepper motor got tangled and unplugged.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jOeBrokeIt, Aug 24, 2016.

1. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Having a problem with my ROBO 3D R1 Plus
    It was working fine since I got it about a week ago and made some pretty good prints right out of the box, until recently.

So when I hit the auto-level button it auto-leveled the extruder and bed. But then suddenly one side completely collapsed and was unable to move the motor. When I took a look at what happened I noticed the black and red wires were snagged under the plastic switch and bolt that push up the horizontal rails. and had been removed.

I managed to take the top cover off, but I am not sure of how I am supposed to reconnect the wires. There are 2 pairs of red and black wires.

Here are the screen shots of how I plugged in the wires. As you can see both sets of wires are wrapped with a wire organizer.
    IMG_1251.JPG IMG_1252.JPG

The problem is now the printer does not align itself when I click on "Home ALL".

Please someone help.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

The X homes ok? Those wires look ok. Make sure for the Z endstop that you put the bracket back into place by turning it 90 deg clockwise and put the x axis endcap back down onto the endstop. Then switch the two wires around. Red goes on the right. Nice to see Robo took the metal flap off of the endstop for the Z.

3. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Im not sure of exactly what you are talking about. I have no idea how things were originally supposed to be connected and configured.
    I swapped the top wires as you mentioned and it still does not home.
    It seems when I click home that only the y axis homes properly.

When I hit the Home ALL button It seems like it is going the opposite direction, because it moves up and towards the right side. Homing should make it go down and to the left correct?

4. danzca6

not the top switch...that one looked fine...that is X. up and down is Z. That is the one where the wires need to be switched. Also, that is the one that the bracket needs to be turned and put back over the brass nut. What does the other side look like? Post a pic. If it looks normal we will tell you. Then you can make this side look the same. I'll try to find a pic for you in the meantime. I no longer use Z endstops. So I can't just take a pic of mine.

5. danzca6

6. danzca6

Step 21-22 give you a really good pic of what I am seeing wrong with your picture.

7. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Ah nice! I think I got it! It homes all axis now. The problem was the gap between the hex nut and the end stop.

Thanks a bunch man! :) Now I gotta do a test print. :)

8. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

No success unfortunately...
    It is going all over the place and going higher and higher up. Its even ramming the bed and extruder to the very end :(

9. danzca6

so we might be looking at damaged wires or stops. I'd call Robo or setup an appointment for them to go over it with you. It's new...so parts are under warranty. https://robo3d.com/contact-us/

10. danzca6

scratch that...didn't see you post above that it did home all axis. So now you might just need to realign the x axis to the bed. So you might be better off and no damage. Just calibration.

11. danzca6

I'd home the Z axis, turn off the printer, manually slide the extruder to the right being careful not to scratch the glass. you can manually (by hand) adjust the leadscrews to raise one side or the other as needed. Put a piece of paper down under the extruder and get the nozzle to touch just enough that you get a bit of a tug when you move the paper. Move to the head to the other side, do the same. That should level the bed. Make sure also that the endstop brackets that wrap around the brass nuts are secured tightly so it doesn't move up or down causing auto leveling to be off. Let's try it again and see what happens. If it starts stair stepping up during the 9 point autoleveling go ahead and stop it. There is still more work to do.

12. danzca6

It's almost midnight here and I may not be able to stay up too much longer, but I will hang around for another 20 minutes or so if you need more help. Otherwise I will check back first thing in the morning. Others will be on more in the morning as well to help. Otherwise call Robo and they should be able to walk through the calibration of the auto bed leveling to get it back to working correctly again.

13. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Thanks a lot Danzca6. I think I had enough battling for the night as well. I am in San Francisco by the way. I will try out your tips tomorrow and update when I give that a shot. I will have a bit of time before work so hopefully we can get this straightened out. Good night, :)

14. danzca6

Take care...don't have any 3d printer nightmares....haha. I look forward to seeing you progress at some point tomorrow.

15. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Ok, here goes another attempt!
    I tried what you said and it homes EXCEPT! the X axis is stair stepping to the right each time I press Home. It looks like it is hitting the Z and Y switches or triggers but I have no idea why it is going to the right and not towards the left.

16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

stepper connected backwards maybe?
    Reverse it and see if that helps

danzca6 likes this.
  17. danzca6

:eek: that is odd. so when you home X it doesn't smoothly go left towards the endstop switch and touch it? Instead it goes right?

18. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Be advised I can move each axis individually by using the X-, X+, Y-, Y+, and Z-, Z+ buttons so they responding appropriately to the software and seem to be moving the right direction. Of course I am a assuming that moving from the home location being the bottom left corner of the bed is 0,0,0 and the opposite end in 3D would be 10,9,8, based on inches of build volume.

19. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

Thats why im so confused, because I can hit the X+ button and it will move the specified distance to the right. Is that normal?

20. jOeBrokeIt

jOeBrokeIt Member

So I just swap the red and black wires on the X axis home switch? Ill try it.