1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Here's a new one

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sarge5020, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

So here's the issue; I did a print and everything went great. I go to do another and I set the temperature for 235c for the exturder and the heated bed at 105c, just like the previous print. The temperature for the print head goes to 244c and shuts down, taking the heated bed with it. Every time I try to bring the head to 235c, same thing happens. I tried it with a different computer and got the same results. I'm running an E3D print head on a Robo3D printer with Repetier software. Any ideas?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you increase the extruder limit temp in the firmware? If memory serves, for the default hot end it was somewhere in that neighborhood I think.

3. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

Good thought. Any idea where to look for the default settings?

Cheers,
    John

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Configuration.h

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 240 //robo
    #define HEATER_1_MAXTEMP 275
    #define HEATER_2_MAXTEMP 275
    #define BED_MAXTEMP 150

2 people like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That above is from the March firmware, when I look at the old one (whatever the original version was I had):

#define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 235
    Sure enough there is your problem.

3 people like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I think I set mine to 330 after installing the E3D.
    (not that the E3D couldn't go somewhat higher than that even)

2 people like this.
  7. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

I'm a little slow here. Where, or how, do I get to the place where I can set the max temperature? I checked the Config drop down on Repetier Host VO.95F and I can't see where you would set the max temp.
    Cheers,
    John

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Sarge,
    I don't think you can override the max temperature in the Repetier or control software. I think you need to edit the configuration.h file in the Marlin firmware as mentioned by Mark above and reload/flash it into the Arduino Mega. This is really an easy and safe process. See Melody's FAQ for the procedure. Use the latest Marlin from: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/marlin-firmware-update-3-14-14.1857/

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

sarge the setting you are looking for is in the firmware itself which is loaded by the factory when the printer is assembled. Updates to this firmware have been published and it is easily editable, and in the case of upgrading to the E3D requires it for just this reason.

You need to download the last version from the forums in the documents section and then get the arduino software. Once the arduino software is installed you need to modify the configuration .h file and find and edit the settings Mark shows above to set the proper temp for the E3d which as Mark states should be around 330 the rest can remain the same for now. After that is done you can upload the firmware to the printer and you should be all set.

There are threads on the forum about updating the firmware so I won't go into those details as it has already been stated.

10. sarge5020

sarge5020 Member

I got it to work, thank you everybody for your assistance and patience.
    Cheers,
    John

11. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Nice find. You also might want to do PIDs over...I ended up setting them into configuration.h as well. The latest Matter Control does not seem to override them. The EEProm settings don't show up in Repetier either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.