1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hobbed bolt issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by marty williams, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marty williams

In the picture, the one on the left was printed at 190c first layer and 185c after that, middle was 195c/190c, right was 200c/195c. The one on the right seemed to print great and I thought the problem was fixed. But now it's still doing the same spaghetti mess at 200c as you see in the 190c cube.

The two outside runs on the first layer usually looks great, but it goes to crap on the infill and subsequent layers.

Info:
    PLA
    190/185C, 195/190C, 200/195C
    ABS type printer with the heated borosilicate bed
    Bed temp: room temperature
    Blue painters tape on the bed.

Hobbed bolt replacement?

Thanks,

Marty

Attached Files:

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

we may need to go over your infill settings exactly as you have them and see whats going on. Let me know when you have some time

3. marty williams

OK.

My infill is set at .3, right now, rectilinear. Infill every 1 layer. No solid infills. 45 degree angle. solid infill threshold area is 70mm2.

Only infill where needed, only retract while crossing perimeters and infill before perimeters are all unchecked.

I thought I had set it up exactly as the setup pictures showed.

Anything I need to change?

Thanks,

Marty

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well those match mine exactly
    another indication it may be a hobbed bolt issue is to open teh extruder up as if to change fialment and see if teh current hobbed bolt is caked full of filament grindings and/or if their is a lot of filament dust inside. if it is caked it could be th filament is grinding away at teh same time slowly being extruded in such a way as to create the wispy lines of filament to get laid down instead of regular ones. Check that and let us know

5. marty williams

Hmmm.... We may've found my problem.

Attached Files:

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

yep that is the problem teh filament is probably drifiting around from side to side and not feeding but simply grinding and as the hobbs fill up the feeding becomes less.

make sure the filament is free flowing and not binding on anything before it goes into the extruder
    see if you have a grooved hobbed bolt if not get one and this should go away

7. marty williams

I already ordered a grooved hobbed bolt from ebay. I'll get that slapped in it when it gets here and I'll be off to the races.

Thanks again for your help.

Marty

8. marty williams

Aaaand... the new bolt didn't fix my problem. I've slowed all of the travel rates down to 30mm/s which is what the perimeters were/are set at and the perimeters print fine. I'm really quite frustrated with my printer and I'd like to get some consistent prints going on.

Any other ideas?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok here is a simple test we can do to see if it is your settings or if it is mechanical in nature
    go into repetier and slice the object when it finished slicing save the gcode file and upload it here and ask someone to run it I will if I see it or you can message it to me as well
    the gcode takes your profile settings and slices it accordingly if I download the gcode file itself it is if I am printing with your exact settings and if it comes out on mine then you have a mechanical issue if it fails on mine then it is a settings issue and we can proceed accordingly

10. marty williams

Here's my latest slice config.

Also, I hope you're getting some kind of compensation from robo3d if you don't work for them. You seem to be the only one answering questions on here, Tesseract.

Thanks for your help.

Marty

Attached Files:

11. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

I've switched cold ends but I'm pretty sure the spring tension on the stock cold end is not as strong as it could be, leading to this kind of grinding action.

2 people like this.
  12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well Marty on my system the gcode you sent seems to work fine so we may have to look back to your printer itself as to the cause of the issue

2013-11-25 07.36.28.jpg 2013-11-25 07.36.20.jpg

There are a few things I would alter and some thing where we should focus

two helpful things that will help all of your prints
    first I would set my loops for teh skirt to be at 2 and never change it the skirt gives the filament a chance to get flowing properly before the print actually starts getting printed
    second here is a post I made with some gcode you can add so every print does does I uses it always and it really helps
    check it out
    http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...-nozzle-clean-and-your-filament-flowing.1290/

Now back to your issue based on what I saw you speed was great the infil worked and you should have had a great print but you didn't and the filament dust you saw is I believe the biggest clue

A few things as to why this could be happening
    1. there may not enough pressure on the filament from the bearing pressing it against the hobbed bolt
    2. the nozzle tip or hot end is at least partially clogged
    3. the groove on your new hobbed bolt is not perfectly aligned with the hole that guides the filament in to the hot end

there may be others but this what I think

Now 2 seem to be unlikely because when you start the prints you say the layers look great and a partial clog would not do this
    that leaves 1 and 3

3 is easy enough to check open the top of the extruder assembly the spring loaded screws and simply look at the position of the grove and the hole below it they need to be as lined up as possible on my grooved hobbed bolt they supplied me with extra washers so I could position it exactly where it need to be
    hopefully this is it as this would be easy to fix

1 is harder to determine

what I would do is to completely clean out the extruder top area of dust and make sure the filament is has not clogged the hobbed bolt and make a single print then open it up and look and see if there is any dust. There should noit be any at all I could run mine for week and still never see what you showed in your pic and the real key is the size of the shredded filament mine literally is dust you have chunks
    sned pictures of the hobbed bolt the bearing and the alignment all of which should be easily taken in a single pic and then do one print and take another pic from the same view point and upload both

also while it is open make sure that things are operating smoothly (bearing spins hobbed bolt turns with motor smoothly etc)

We'll get it straightened out

2 people like this.
  13. STech

STech New Member

Actually 1 is fairly easy to determine. The ridges should press into the filament at least 10% of the thickness in order to develop the pressure required for a 0.40mm orifice on a typical hot end. If it doesn't, it will just grind off the material when you hit a hard spot. So, open up your extruder and pull out the filament if you don't see ridges at least .2mm into the filament that could be the issue.

I had similar issues which were all related to the temp/viscosity behavior of the melted filament (PLA and Nylon), the springs on the extruder are not strong enough to account for the variation in the filament. I added heavier springs AND tweaked my temperature up 5 degrees at a time until it worked consistently. you might have better luck with ABS, PLA filament is SUPPOSED to be racemic mixture of two stereoisomers and as such the melting point varies with the composition.

2 people like this.
  14. marty williams

ok, so I lost one of the springs. I was taking one of the bolts loose and it shot off across the room.

I was planning on replacing the springs with stronger springs, which I did. It didn't fix my problem, but now in addition to not extruding, when I print the stepper motor that drives the extruder will sometimes click like it's being overtorqued and it won't advance.

I've tried temperatures from 190 to 215 and no love. I was at least able to make some prints when I first got the printer if I turned the temperature up, but now I can't get anything.

In the pictures, you'll see that the filament is bent. I'm not sure if that's from the extruder/stronger springs or because I had to manually press the filament to get it to extrude at all.

Anyway... Any ideas? Is my extruder jammed.

Thanks to everyone that's helped. I appreciate your effort.

Thanks,

Marty

Attached Files:

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

that does seem to look as if something is jamming it up
    There is a video about replacing teh PTFE tube if you get a clog which you may have you should watch that and maybe look into that some when the extruder is open like that and teh hot end is hot and you manually feed filament in it does extrude right??

16. marty williams

Yes. It will extrude when I manually feed filament. The filament that came with the printer is a bit larger than the filament that I just received and I could for the thicker stuff more easily than the thing stuff I have now. Is that video on youtube or in the forums somewhere?

Thanks,

Marty

17. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe it was on the forums but I can not remember sorry but it is most likely here

That little twist is caused by the extruder pushing it down in the hole but it not having anywhere to go so something is probably stopping it or by the extrusion speed set to high

are you using the standard version of repetier or teh robo one

18. marty williams

I downloaded what was shown in the setup instructions that came with the printer. repetier.com/download

I'll find the video, thanks.

19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

20. marty williams

Great, thanks.

You da bomb, Tesseract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.