1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hobbed bolt issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by marty williams, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

thanks when did you downlaod it I ask becasue I know they were workingon their own version with the makers of repetier and some people have it but it was only in the last couple weeks

There have been negative comments about it

and just recently I was to an computer extrude in repetier and I had teh speed there set way to fast and I end up with jameed up filament tht looked like yours but more of it simply because it could not heat fast enough to extrude so it jammed up that is what made think of the extruding speed thing. the hot end was fin it just jammed up in teh extruder section

2. marty williams

It was about two weeks ago that I downloaded it. I'll try to download a new version and see what happens.

One question and one point.
    1. I'm assuming that since this thing extrudes at 1.5mm that I should be able to shove a 1 mm wire up the hot end. Well, I can't get it up there. It feels like it will go a tiny bit, but then jams.

2. If they were going to use a tag team of Thor and The Hulk to install these screws, they could've at least used a screw head that is a little more resistant to stripping out and a little easier to work with. I'm going to replace the ones on the z-axis set screw and the ones that you remove to take out the hot end with some robertson head screws.

Thanks again.

Marty

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Another two points LOL
    The nozzle is .4 mm not 1.5 filament may expand some when it exits bu tthe nozzle itself is.4mm so I see why a 1mm won't I had to use a single strand of stranded wires 20 gauge to get in there and even then it was some work

The hulk and Thor I think got drunk when they did mine however even though it was murder with a screwdriver I did manage to fit my small drill in there and even with the screw head partially stripped once it caught it pulled the screws right out so there is something to say as far as power things go I was actually how easy it really was with the constant torque and power made the screw seem like it was in butter

4. marty williams

So, I pulled apart my hot end and I'm pretty sure it's clean. The ptfe tube isn't clogged.

I downloaded the newest software off of the robo3d website. It has defaults already set up for robo3d. Still no love. The default extrusion speed is the same as before or maybe even a bit faster.

I've tried putting the hobbed bolt that came with the printer back in, but the results are about the same. I've put stronger springs in the filament pusher thing. I had to trip the springs because they were too strong.

I guess i'm going to try combinations of all of the above for a while.

Also, I put some oil on the screws before I put them back in and now it's not an hour long ordeal to get them in or out.

5. marty williams

So, what is my extrusion speed supposed to be? The default I originally had was 100. I moved it down to 25 and it does seem to be extruding, but way too slow. I think maybe at 100 it's trying to feed too fast and the hobbed bolt is eating into the filament instead of pushing it downward.

6. luketheyeti

luketheyeti Member

I'm sorry for your printing issues but this thread is a goldmine of general troubleshooting tips. Cheers to you both!

3 people like this.
  7. marty williams

It turns out I needed to bump up my extrusions temperature up to, i think, around 220. Prints like a dream, mostly, now.

8. luketheyeti

luketheyeti Member

Man that seems super hot, any issues since then? Stringing of the filament or filament shrinking as it hardens?

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Always keep in mind that temps that two different people use can be quite different from reality. All of Marty's prints may seem to run hot but that could be do to how his thermistor is being read by his specific system. I am not saying that is true in this instance but just to keep it in mind temps you see here are more for guidelines not exact usage yours and his may in actuality be much closer.

2 people like this.
  10. anoble66

anoble66 New Member

When I was running the stock hot end and thermistor I had to keep my temps up at 220c in order to get consistent extrusion. I have since switched to the E3d and their supplied thermistor and I can now print 100% reliably with the same filament at 195/200c. When I removed my stock thermistor I did notice what appears to be either a layer of burnt on kapton or some other containment. I was also experiencing -10c temp drops whenever my fan switched on.

11. luketheyeti

luketheyeti Member

Copy that. A contact thermometer is on my list of tools to buy.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yup "guidelines", not so much rules.

You can do some static testing with filament at various temperatures and find the best range for a given type or spool.

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.