1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hobbed Bolts and feeling Good! (for newbys)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tompeel1, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

I have spent the past months printing away with great help from the everyone on the forum but I always looked at other peoples prints (that were not complaining they couldn't get it to stick or were a total mess) In awe as they always seemed to just be that little bit nicer!

I have done a few upgrades to my Robo, starting with simple bits like the Z stabilisers by Tony and other bits you can print yourself which are all marginal gains but gains none the less to some of the more expensive ones...

E3d with 0.4 and 0.25MM Nozzles which was a well worth it upgrade in terms of speed of printer heating up and some nice improvements to print quality and speed, however was one of the more expensive upgrades but a big gain so all good there.

Then there was a bit of a kick up a month back about hobbed bolts so i bought a new one of ebay... like an idiot bought one basically the same as the standard Robo one the black and gold ones are rubbish probably the biggest gain and improvement in quality was this James even sent me 4 different ones to try for the same price! I think in the photo you can see the difference. I can now print on the default robo fast setting better than i could before going slow and accurate! 2014-03-05 16.42.55.jpg 2014-03-05 15.47.38.jpg
    For £2 or $5 its not worth not doing!

3 people like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yup, I now have three different ones myself (including stock).

3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

When i first discovered this issue some people thought I changed my hobb just because.. Well if you pay attention to your hobb and watch the filament movement with the stock hobb.. you can see and hear the filament slipping on its teeth during retractions.. If I had a slo mo camera I could've shown this in real time...

but i'm glad others are starting to notice the differences now... i hope robo has looked into this issue too.. and do away with that current hobb they are shipping with..

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Which variation of the eBay hobs sold by James worked best. He has deep/shallow hobs with or without the grooved bearing? I presume you needed a 25mm hob to replace the stock.

5. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Hey Ziggy

No you need to message him and say you need a 15mm for the robo he will know what you mean I'll measure my hob and how deep it was later and post here and tell jame for reference

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. Bob64

Bob64 Member

Did you have to calibrate your extruder steps per mm setting to account for the effective diameter of the hobbed bolt to compensate?

7. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I did do this by manually extruding 80mm filament feed lengths and getting proportion to actual length. I then scaled the Marlin feed constant and reflashed it. There is a G-code command to temporally override the firmware value. I really have no idea if it helped or not. It was about 4% low before the change.

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Yes, I did this because my new Hobbed bolt had a groove and a different effective circumference.

9. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Maybe I should but I didn't and prints are prefect

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Yes - my guess is that the circumference difference is too small to matter.

2 people like this.
  11. Darrell

Darrell Member

Who is James and how can I contact him? I need a new hobbed bolt as the one that came with my robo is stripped around the hobbing

12. Rick Collins

Rick Collins Member

If someone can supply a link to a hobbed bolt that is known to be the best it would be appreciated as there are just so many options to choose from on eBay and I'm happy to admit I don't know enough not to buy the wrong item :) cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

I think this is how the OP translates with Punctuation. Very different to how I originally interpretted it. If so i might have to see if James (I assume jaisol0 is James?) will ship to Aus.

14. Darrell

Darrell Member

Thank you. I didn't see the word "this" was a link before

15. Darrell

Darrell Member

This was the response I received:

Is that the correct size or what should I be asking for?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you measure your current one?

17. Darrell

Darrell Member

No. I'm at work currently. I just thought I would ask here since I thought all the robo's used the same size bolt and I was planning on ordering it today.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would not be certain of that. However, mine is 55mm long, 15.9 mm to start of hobb, 6.8mm hobb width (all lengths from top of bolt head)

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bear in mind, all of the replacements I have seen come with washers to adjust them as needed...

20. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I think to be more accurate you should specify 15mm from the bottom of the bolt head. Yes, usually you will need one to two washers to center it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.