1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

holes in objects Help!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jordanbanks, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordanbanks

Jordanbanks New Member

I got my printer and I am new to this; every time I print an object there are tiny holes. How do I get solid objects?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Does it look like it's not extruding enough filament? We'd need a picture to know more about what your struggles are.

3. Jordanbanks

Jordanbanks New Member

I uploaded 2 pics; if you can see it is the tiny holes inbetween I think it is a setting off. I thank you for helping and I am proud to be apart of this Robo 3D printing community.

Attached Files:

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Definitely looks like a classic case of under extrusion. Generally this is caused by skipping on the hobbed bolt.

This can be caused by a number of conditions.

1) Friction on the input filament. If it's hard for the hobbed bolt to pull the filament from the spool it can cause skipping to occur. Make sure it doesn't take excessive force to pull the filament on the spool holder. If you're using the stock setup you should be fine.

2) Gunk on the hobbed bolt. As filament is fed in bits of plastic break off and can gunk the hobbed bolt. You can clean this with a bristle brush and spinning the drive gear. If you clean it and it's still bad you might look into replacing the hobbed bolt with one that has deeper teeth.

3) Dust in the extruder. If a piece of dust blocks the extruder it can cause it to have difficulty pushing out. Try forcing filament through the heated nozzle. If it's difficult to push it might have dust or lint in it

4) Your extruder steps/mm is not properly calibrated. You can test this by marking your filament at ~100mm above the entry point. Tell the printer to extruder 50mm of filament, then measure the mark again.

5) If you have a brass nozzle on your hot end you have the old style where the internal PTFE tube is prone to cracking. If it cracks filament will ooze out the top and sides of the hot end causing under extrusion.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.