1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Homing Y Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by J3R0D, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J3R0D

J3R0D New Member

Printer: Robo 3D R1 *RESOLVED*

*Freefloating Cord to heatpad was incorrectly ziptied backtogether*

First few prints worked with nearly no bind noise whatsoever, however; upon the end of the second print when the program Cura moves Y tray out to easily remove the 3d print, it makes a binding noise. So anytime I go to home x y and z, my x homes and hits the toggle switch to stop, y does not stop binding the motor unless I turn it off, is there a way to predefine my home offsets? Also I have the dimensions 228 254 228 for build volume. I also had been reading about making sure belts are correctly tightened and etc.

#1 J3R0D, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Make sure you do not have machine center 0,0 checked in cura.

3. J3R0D

J3R0D New Member

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I do not have these setting(s) checked. Also this is happening in MatterControl as well as Cura. It seems to be a home configuration error. If I even make my X axis go away from origin to it's maximum stop, it seems to do a "slight" grinding. However; the Y axis seem to get worse as time went on because I set the Y axis to home and it ground initially for a sec and stopped (when it occurred first that is) and now it just wants to hang forward unless I power the machine off, which I always do to avoid any damage to the motors and or gears.

4. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I have the same problem in MatterControl if I use the manual home movement controls, it starts the print and my Y gets stuck grinding, so I no longer use the home controls. can you post your settings in cura for your gcode.

5. J3R0D

J3R0D New Member

Additionally, underneath the heated bed, there seems to be a limit switch. It looks just like the one for my x axis, however; there is nothing on my machine to hit this button as it extends and even if it did, I pushed the switch in when I was making y adjustments and it continued; maybe there is a problem with this switch? What's weird is my initial prints had no problems. The second print or third print is when the machine sequenced the end code to tell the y axis to move out of my machine(easier access to the 3d design) and it did a slight motor grind, but I didn't think anything of it at the time. Yet on the next G28 sequence(x-y-z origin) the y axis continued until powered off.

6. J3R0D

J3R0D New Member

G21
    G90
    M82
    M107
    G28 X0 Y1
    G28 Z0
    M565 Z-1.0
    G29
    G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed}
    G92 E0
    G1 F200 E3
    G1 F{travel_speed}
    M117 Printing...

7. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

This is what I was told and it works perfect

G21 ;metric values
    G90 ;absolute positioning
    M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode
    M107 ;start with the fan off
    G28 ;Home All
    M565 Z-.6 ; Define 1.0mm of offset, adjust this value if you're too high/low. More negative is further from the bed
    G92 E0 ;Reset Extruder count
    G1 E-3.0 ;Retract 5mm for probing to limit dots
    G29 ; Run autolevel routine
    G1 Z15.0 F{travel_speed} ;move the platform down 15mm
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
    G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock
    G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 F{travel_speed}
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    M117 Printing...

8. J3R0D

J3R0D New Member

Also my G28 is edited, I was trying to play with the Y home to avoid the grinding.

9. J3R0D

J3R0D New Member

Yeah I've used that exact code for all the prints, aside of the leveling of the Z axis, because mine is perfect @ 1.0 instead of .6. Still grinding the Y axis when homing.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Suggest you check the Y home switch under the bed is working.

Use gcode M119 entered manually. This will give you a log file response with the status of the X, Y and Z home switches. Try manually activating the Y switch to check the Y switch is "triggered"

If it does not change from open to triggered, then you have a wiring problem between the Y switch and the Ramps/Arduino.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks like he edited his OP saying a wire was getting caught.

12. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

glad you got it worked out. Print on.

13. J3R0D

J3R0D New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah it was just the free moving cable to the bed getting hung up. Got it all set and it's printing flawlessly. I searched for days before buying to get the perfect cura settings; and now that it's running, time paid off.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.