1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Hot End Temperature Fell

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BHWeaver, Dec 28, 2017.

1. BHWeaver

BHWeaver New Member

This is a brand new printer, right off the bat I was getting the Hot end temperature fell error and max and min temp errors. I discovered that the thermistor was shorting out, I have replaced the thermistor and attempted to run the printer I no longer have min or max temp errors now but I am still getting the Hot End Temperature Fell error, I have tested the wires; wiggled jiggled and pulled and not a blip on my tester but as I try to print I still get the error. I am running the Matter Control software and am controlling the printer via usb.

2. BHWeaver

BHWeaver New Member

Forgot to add that I am also seeing the temperature jump around, for example when preheating the hot end the temperature fell from 104 degrees to 100 and then suddenly jumped to 140.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. BHWeaver

BHWeaver New Member

Like I said I tested the wiring and thermistor, and I have now disabled all the fans and I still have the same problem. Sometimes just after calibration and sometimes a minute or so into the print.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well the only thing that will raise that error is the firmware seeing the temperature momentarily drop ... period.
    So something is making that happen and 99% of the time it is the thermistor itself. The only POSSIBLE problems are:

1) bad thermistor or bad wiring/connections to it (loose ones will cause this)
    2) the RAMPS board that interfaces to all the I/O
    3) the arduino computer

That is it.

Remember that the firmware sees the temperature data "live" or near real-time and the printing software is always somewhat delayed by the serial communications. Even though you do not SEE the temperature change in the UI because of a sudden spike/drop due to a bad connection, the firmware will.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The reason you see it when you do is that is when the printer is getting started actually printing and there is a lot of movement on the extruder and the extruder platform. All of the wires are moving a bit and a bad connection will pop up right about then.