1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hotend Dragging across print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Darrell, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrell

Darrell Member

Let me start off by say I finally successfully printed something last night. I printed the z-axis stabilizers with Cura and they came out great. That said, here's my new issue

After my first success I attempted to print the top mounted spool assembly, seen here:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:188820

While printing, the hotend will drag across the top layer of the model and actually make a grinding sound as it scrapes the support structure. I think the printer is leveled correctly and to the proper height as the Z-Axis stabilizers printed without a hitch.

The layers it does print look great and everything, but the dragging of the hotend can't be good for it; and it caused the entire print, raft and all, to be pulled off the hot bed to the back of the printing area mid-print and ruined the whole thing.

Any idea how to fix this?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

hmm any chance you can get a video or check the g-code to see if it goes down?

3. Darrell

Darrell Member

Think I may have found the solution to my problem. Someone over at printrbot had the exact issue I'm having. Check out their post on it here:
    http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3166

TL;DR: It would seem it's a problem with over extrusion, although I'm not sure how to adjust that in Cura

4. Darrell

Darrell Member

I should probably also mention that this happened a couple times when using Slic3r / Repetier as well

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Adjust the flow rate. You could also calibrate your extruder steps/mm to verify they're accurate.

Take a piece of filament you can mark with a sharpie. Put the filament so it's in the hot end and mark it at the input point. Have it extrude 10mm, mark it again. Then pull out the filament and measure the distance with a caliper.

Use the difference between the current value and the existing value to find the new steps per mm.

6. Darrell

Darrell Member

Ok, how do I tell it to manually extrude 10mm?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You can do that in repetier or matter control I believe. Cura should also have manual controls but I haven't messed with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.