1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hotend on Robo R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rileyAR15, Dec 30, 2015.

1. rileyAR15

rileyAR15 New Member

I was wondering if anyone would take a pic of there hotend on there robo printer and post it. I just received my new hotend that the R1 printers are running and just want a visual. I been reading on a few other forums some said they upgraded the kickstart printers and said they needed no mods and other said they had to add a extra bracket for a 2nd fan. Thanks for any help.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What printer are you upgrading? An R1 or a Beta?

The KS version might need a new parts fan bracket if you are replacing the J-Head with a Hexagon (or the J-Head with an E3D) since those hotends are physically smaller than the J-Head.

I don't have a hex installed, both of my KS printers have E3D hotends (one has a v5 and the other a v6). You bolt them on, wire them up and replace the parts fan bracket with a new one you can print (so it points correctly).

3. rileyAR15

rileyAR15 New Member

Here is a pic or my hotend.

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, that is a J-Head. So I assume you are upgrading a KS version (the beta) to use a new style hotend.
    Which hotend are you replacing it with? A hexagon?

I can point you the thingiverse files for a replacement parts fan mount for use with the E3D, not sure I know where one is for the hexagon.

for the E3D:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:186027

might work on a hexagon, do not know.

5. rileyAR15

rileyAR15 New Member

Yes i bought it off the Robo 3d website....I think its the same as this off amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/RepRapDiscoun...ie=UTF8&qid=1451516664&sr=8-3&keywords=hotend

#5 rileyAR15, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might email robo and see if they can provide the model for the one they ship with the current R1.
    The original beta ones are on Thingiverse, but I don't know if someone has a copy of the one for the Hexagon or not.

7. rileyAR15

rileyAR15 New Member

I did email support ask for a pic or any info they can give me. I will do some more searching on the net also.

Thanks

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. rileyAR15

rileyAR15 New Member

I just got a email from Robo support they are going to get me everything i need to do the hotend uprade. I should of just asked then if i sent my printer back in what it cost just to upgrade it new bed everything.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The new beds are nice.

11. rileyAR15

rileyAR15 New Member

I have another noob ? looking at the new hotend i got from Robo guys does this take a bowden tube. I see looking at the top it has a brass screw with a hole in the top i have not had a lot of time to take a close look at the hotend

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The E3D can be used direct feed or Bowden so I imagine the Hexagon can as well.
    I don't use Bowden so someone else can perhaps chime in.

13. TjM

TjM New Member

I just did that today, unscrew the brass thing, drill out the filament hole in carriage to fit a bowden, slide tube in then mark and notch out the tube so filament touches the hobbed bolt then tube continues passed that quick load thing so loading is easy I also trimmed the end of the bowden to a cone shape so it centers into the next aluminum part. Something like that brass piece drilled out to fit the bowden would be nice.