1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hotend upgrade.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jaeson Cardiff, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaeson Cardiff

Jaeson Cardiff Active Member

Everyone is pointing me in the direction of e3d hot ends. I tried to find something on the forum but to no avail. Could someone give some insight as to which upgrade? I have the PLA beta. (No hot bed). E3d v5? v6?

CleanO2 Carbon Capture Tech

2. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

I would say either hexagon or e3d v6. Out of the two, maybe v6 but that is only from what I hear.
    I'm on the same machine and still stock, without a heated bed, the all metal is less important because I'm still slightly limited in materials anyway. I do have a hexagon waiting on the shelf though once I burn through this one, just in case at least.

2 people like this.
  3. Jaeson Cardiff

Good to know. Thanks mate.

4. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

I too have the hexagon sat waiting but the stock hot end is running fine so not willing to change it just yet.

2 people like this.
  5. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

I installed my Hexagon as soon as I got it and instantly noticed a significant improvement in my print quality over the stock hotend with PLA. I did however received the beta silicon jacket for it which keeps the temp perfectly stable. My stock hotend may have been dodgy but the hexagon has been awesome and made my 3D printing experience so much more enjoyable.

The 40mm fan can be screwed directly to the side of the X carriage to blow across the cold end without a duct. The hexagon can be mounted in the stock mount without using the aluminum bracket supplied with the hexagon. Let me know if you want pictures, though they're on the Hexagon thread.

6. Jaeson Cardiff

Thanks much all.

7. da9l

da9l Member

Thanks galaxius! I've got an uninstalled hexagon as well. I'd really appreciate some pics from your installation.

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk

8. Galaxius

2 people like this.
  9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I've heard nothing but good feedback (cambo3d aside...) on the hex and people are absolutely loving the v6.
    I think if you're willing to spend the extra $$, the V6 is a little more versatile. It is probably the best hot end available right now for flexible filaments and has a really cool parametric nozzle design. Instead of simply changing the hole size for different diameters, the 'landing' also increases to make for optimally smooth flat surfaces at all diameters.
    In general, the V6 has a larger installed user base, so you'll be able to find other users' recommended settings at the e3d forum.

However, the Robo is now coming stock with the hex, so you may find it easier to share settings with other robo users if you have the same hot end. I imagine future firmware updates will probably have PID settings optimized for the hex.

da9L and deadwood, if you have hexes that have been sitting around for a while, you should double check the fit of the heater cartridge. They had a quality issue on the first production batch. It's easy to fix by just opening the hole a little bit with a C drill bit, but would be annoying to discover mid install!

4 people like this.
  10. Jaeson Cardiff

Good to know.

11. Galaxius

3 people like this.
  12. neomage2021

neomage2021 New Member

I just installed the e3dv6 and it is a great upgrade over the stock hot end. Very noticeable jump in print quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.