1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved How do i remove the hotend

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robocad, Apr 20, 2016.

1. robocad

robocad Member

Im watching this video and he says to remove a couple screws, i removed the two on the back that hold the extruder wheels to eachother but theres nothing else holding the hotend in place yet it wont budge. Im speaking of the whole metal assembly, there is no way to remove it from the carriage. Ive looked back on the troubleshooting forum and there are no instructions on how to remove this.

#1 robocad, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. robocad

robocad Member

Found this one post buried in the forums with an image link, apparently robo3d doesnt want its users to know how to service it when the low quality, and in my case bent heatbreak, inevitably jam.

http://imgur.com/a/eLCH6

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That looks like one from @Mike Kelly
    There are precious few pictures available from Robo and many of the older members don't have an R1+ (I don't, two Robos, but not an R1+).

4. robocad

robocad Member

I forgot to note for anyone running in the same issue, the metal bar he pictured is not in the new version, its a plastic plate that swings out to the right.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Maybe you can provide a picture? Then we will have one for future reference.

GAmbrosio likes this.
  6. robocad

robocad Member

7. Feidril

Feidril New Member

So...I have the latest Robo3d R1+ purchased a couple months ago. The printer is great, had a small issue with a z-stepper motor wire not connected when opening the box, but nothing a quick check to the forums couldnt identify. I am in process of improving my bridge and overhang game with PLA by upgrading the part cooling, and eventually will upgrade the hexagon hotend when I venture into the "exotic" and/or flexible filaments.

My problem:
    The two screws as pictured in this thread appear to have stripped the plastic of the x carriage for me when trying to loosen them enough to slide the quick release to remove the hot-end (and fan mount). Any ideas on how I can loosen what appears to be nyloc nuts without demolishing the x-carriage? Especially the screw underneath the heater block wires where I cant even get to the nut.

8. robocad

robocad Member

Both screws are stripped?

9. Feidril

Feidril New Member

robocad, It appears so. Turning either screw counterclockwise appears to spin the screws, but they do not come out.

10. robocad

robocad Member

You can try the last ditch resort of pushing down on the end of the screw while unscrewing it, if its just the nut thats stripped the carriage holding it then there may not be much you can do besides get it repaired.

11. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I have not had this happen with the stock injection molded carriage, but I have had it happen with my 3d printed carriages multiple times.

I took a small flat head like jewelers screwdriver( i have a cheap set of small screwdrivers from harbor freight ) and jammed it down next to the nut up top between a flat side of the nut and the recessed plastic hole it sits in. then was able to unscrew the bolt from underneath without the locknut spinning.