1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered How do you guys stop filament from tangling on the spool?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by erer1243, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erer1243

erer1243 Member

I have only used hatchbox PLA, just to preface.

It seems every time I print something, I need to stand by to help the filament not get stuck on the spool by running my finger under the 'thread' being used, as it's almost always underneath another 'thread' further down the line. Sometimes, if I leave it for too long, it will pull the tangle to the bottom and get stuck, eventually halting the filament from moving and causing the extruder gear to grind off an end of the filament, making me have to pull it out, replace it, yadda yadda yadda. I have tried unraveling and re-raveling the filament a little looser but it seems to tangle itself up again no matter what. Are there any tips for not having this happen?

2. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Been there done that on my very first spool.
    Get a friend to help you.
    Take your spool out to the sidewalk and have your friend hold the spool while you unspool it walking down the side walk. You will encounter where the tangle is then have your friend hold the spool tight while you come back and pass the free end over or under the tangle and start again. It only took me three times and my spool was tangle free.
    Carefully have your friend roll up the filament as you keep it tight.

What happened is at some point the free end slipped under some loops and wound up wrong.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I just babysit the roll if the tangle happens then when the print finishes I fix the spool by unreeling however much it takes until I find the tangle, untangle, reroll. I use a wall mount holder so I can't speak to how hard or easy that method would be with the stock mount.

To prevent that from happening I use the holes in the reel, it wastes some filament due to the bending of the filament but meh lol. If I can't reach a hole and haven't drilled my own into the reel yet I use tape :)

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I use a paper clip when I store my filament to keep it from unraveling. I had a roll do that though and it is a headache. No one wants to babysit a print because of that. Being patient and manually fixing it is worth it if you don't want to waste the roll and you don't want to babysit each print. It's almost as bad as having to untangle a bad wrap job on an extension cord. I hate it when that happens as well.

5. erer1243

erer1243 Member

Thanks for the replies. I will try some of the clips or maybe the paperclip trick. Hopefully it will help.

Geof likes this.
  6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

A small binder clip works well also instead of a paperclip if you prefer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.