1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved How to calibrate Z axis motion

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Drmike, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Drmike

Drmike Member

So I got a new power supply and now I can print the MatterControl calibration ring all the way through. The X and Y motions are perfect, and the extruder is pushing out correct amounts of plastic. The first layer is beautiful and the second is ok, but then the nozzle goes a bit higher with each layer so that by the time it gets to the top layer it is about 2 mm above the ring and it makes very pretty waves as the plastic lays down.

I am using T-glase with the temp at 238, bed at 60, physical nozzle is 0.4 but I followed the guidelines and set that to 0.5 in the settings. I also set layer height to .4 with first layer at .3. Perimeters: 1.2; top and bottom 1.2 mm.
    Infill 100%, Travel 150 mm/sec, all others 16mm/sec. First layer speed 30% (I assume of 16). Filament 1.75mm (I don't think retraction applies for the ring, but the settings were 0.5mm lift, 1mm move, 20mm min).

I did not touch any of the G code, so the default startup is:
    G28 X0 Y0 Z0;
    G1 Z5 F5000;
    M109 S[temperature];
    G28 X0 Y0 Z0;
    G29;

The bed levelling works great - the first layer is perfect. There are supposed to be 4 layers of material, and it should be 1.5 high (.3 + 3*0.4). But the last layer is being printed at 3 or more.

Since X and Y are perfect (the ring is 14 cm in diameter and is closer to round than I can measure) I would think Z should be good too. Do I have a setting screwed up, or do I have to change something so it moves Z correctly?
    Dr. mike

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like you might have the incorrect version of the firmware installed. One that has the wrong Z steps/mm.
    Exactly which printer do you have? Beta, R1, R1+? Any changes to the Z rods (like a leadscrew upgrade if you have a beta or a regular R1)?

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The reason this matters is that the Beta had SAE (5/16) Z axis rods, the R1 had (I think) 8mm threaded rods and the R1+ has the leadscrews :)

4. Drmike

Drmike Member

It's a brand new R1+. I changed the software using the Firmware download to change the baud rate. I would not be surprised - there is a note on that web page to NOT use it to upgrade the R1+. All I changed was the baud rate - so it should be easy enough to change anything else. I just need to know what bits to flip, otherwise I'll make things a lot worse!

Thanks!

Edit: in Configuration.h there is a line DEFAULT_AXIS_STEP_PER_UNIT {80, 80, 2560, 723.38}
    Is that what I need to change?

#4 Drmike, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, what you change it to depends on which model you have. Those numbers are correct for an original BETA unit. for yours (and R1+) that 2560 needs to be : 800

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. Drmike

Drmike Member

Excellent, thanks! I just have to make sure I change just the baud rate. I will give it a shot.

8. Drmike

Drmike Member

Perfection at last!! The calibration ring is perfectly round and solid and the plastic has the optical properties I'm looking for.
    Thanks to everyone - I really appreciate it!
    Dr. mike