1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved How to replace extruder fan

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gpvanarsdale, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gpvanarsdale

Gpvanarsdale New Member

I recently purchased a mini-Kaze SY124010L fan to replace the noisy fan that came with the ROBO 3D. After I removed the screws and disconnected the cables I found that the connectors used by each fan are different.

I would like to know how to replace the fans. Do I need to change the connector in the new fan to match the original one? If so, I will appreciate your help on how to do it.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Replace the connector. Cut off the connectors and jumper the wires together. Run a new wire.

Or contact robo3d and they'll ship you a replacement fan

3. Gpvanarsdale

Gpvanarsdale New Member

Mike,

Are all those different solutions? I would like to replace the connector on the new fan. Where can I get a replacement connector? I have never changed one before but I am a fast learner.

I could request a new fan from Robo 3D but I am afraid I will have the same noise issue.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They had a batch of bad fans. Using an unknown fan might not have sufficient cooling.

I have no idea on the connector. You'd need to look up what type of connector it comes with then pick up one for that. You'd probably need to solder to the female connector.

Yes those are all different solutions.

5. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

EBay for connectors. JST is the connector type I believe.

6. RokleM

RokleM Member

Unfortunately the replacement fans they send have too short of a cable, so you're cutting anyway.

7. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I got a replacement fan from them in the mail last week and it is SO much higher quality than the last fan. It also comes with the same connector type the rest of the cables leading to the extruder use. The only problem is that the connector is in the wrong place, in my opinion. I think it should be a little higher up to avoid getting in the way, but a little hot glue solves that problem. The actual cable length going to the RAMPS is correct.

They're not JST connectors, but a JST connector will work fine. I'm a big fan of the connector that they're using and hope that I'll be able to find them some day, I just have no idea how to search for it. Maybe I'll ask /r/whatisthisthing. Haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.