1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I think a burn my Arduino bord

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hassan, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hassan

Hassan New Member

today while I try to set up wering for autobed levelling, by mistake made a short-circuit between +&- terminal of limit switch connection on RAMPS board. I semil a smoke and my LCD screen goes off but board led was still working and board can connect to PC using USB without problem.

I remeasure the voltage in the same terminal and it was reading around 2.2 voltage instad of 5 volte earlier before things go wrong.

I remove the arduino board and remeasure the voltage on 3v and 3.3 v terminal and both were reading ~4.4 V

I am not sure did I damage the RAMPS board or arduino board, I think I burn the voltage regulater AMS 7111 on the arduino boaord .

Can any one help how to fix this problem and if I have to replace the voltage regualter what is the alternative to AMS7111 as it's not avilabe in my countery.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You could just swap the entire board. It might be easier to find that.

3. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

yup just get a new board

4. Hassan

Hassan New Member

Thanks for all, I already ordered one. However I still think I can get this board back as it seemed to work normal when I connect to USB.

I will keep all posted if I could bring it back to work normal.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The nice thing is it is an arduino board. Even after you replace it you can repair and bench test it easy enough and have a spare :)

6. Hassan

Hassan New Member

Just to share with others what I had found, after a lot of trouble shooting and searching over net I found that it,s the 5 v regulater at Arduino board AMS1117.

I could not found the same regulater locally so I used L7805 but due to different pin out and size I had to some rewiring and finally the board was live again and back to print.

This picture of my board after repaire

https://www.dropbox.com/s/efuzuf3ohorn6ao/2014-05-03 14.55.13.jpg

Also this a useful linke which help me a lot

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-a-fried-Arduino-Mega/

I hope this could help some others who faced same problem.

I order new Arduino board for 20 $ and it's in the way to me but the repaire cost me less than one dollar

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.