1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Imperial units in marlin

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fart_Plume, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Here is the code to switch your Robo Or any other 3d printer tyo imperial unit and back.

G20: Set Units to Inches
    Support FiveD Teacup Sprinter Marlin Repetier Smoothie RepRapFirmware -YES to ALL
    Example: G20

Units from now on are in inches.

G21: Set Units to Millimeters
    Support FiveD Teacup Sprinter Marlin Repetier Smoothie RepRapFirmware
    yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
    Example: G21

Units from now on are in millimeters. (This is the RepRap default.)

I suspect this code has been disabled in the firmware even if it is present. I suspect the slicers do not understand the code either.

#1 Fart_Plume, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Why would you ever want inches? :p

3. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Simple fact, most manufacturing in the U.S. is still done in imperial units and not metric.Other than automotive, Aircraft, and medical, most things are still designed and machined in Imperial units. Also for those small businesses that need a one off prototype are not going to want to convert to metric for one part, so the ability to accommodate is an advantage.

4. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Just teasing.

I worked at a place that sold all their implants and instrumentation in MM, but designed it all in inches. :eek:

5. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

I've built both medical equipment and worked for a Metal Fabrication shop that made aircraft parts. Everything was done in inches, except for the oil filed parts, lol

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The worst part about industrial equipment is that nothing is actually a size that makes sense.

1" SCH 40 is 1.313 OD and 1.048"

Real cool guys

I hate working with SAE units. It's such a stupid system. Especially when people just between Bar, PSI, and in H2O. Just pick a freaking unit man.

7. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

The id is what schedule 40 refers to, and the .048 over size is an allowance for rust, and manufacturing variances. If you need dimension accurate tubing HREW or DOM is the way to go, lol Plus you can blame the Europeans for imperial units. Such as Railroad Guages and Roadway width is from the Romans, as in each lane, and distance between the rails, is the width of two horses asses side by side

#7 Fart_Plume, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I understand the nomenclature, but I still think it's stupid.

I do blame the europeans but at least they figured out how dumb it was and now use a far more efficient method

9. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Just wait until you run into the old Russian units of measure or British Whitworth, lol

10. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

The more I look, it seems that while it is supported in Marlin, it is not implemented.
    So, I need to figure out how to implement it. sigh.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

If you design in imperial and create the stl file while still in imperial you should not need to be concerned the slicer and printer work in metric.

Maybe you should chose a metric layer height which is more compatible with imperial units (eg something like 0.0127mm, 0.0254mm or 0.0381mm) . But can't see any other reason that would not work??

12. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

My main point and thought is this: They are using standard G-codes that virtually all CNC machines use, and every one of them I have ran have been set to imperial through the G20 code. It just seems to me if these printer manufacturers truely want these to go main stream in the U.S. they are going to have implement this function. There are people who are simply set in their ways and will refuse to even try because they do not want to learn a new system of measurement. I'm in my 50's I learned the metric system in grade school and continued on through high school, however people who are now beginning to retire and looking for hobbies will pass this by just due to being limited to metric.