1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Importing into Matter Control

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John H, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John H

John H Member

All I wanted to do was create a simple rectangle 5.25 inchs x 6.25 inches x .25 inches with a 3d text . simple enough to create in google sketch up , I created what I wanted in 1 min , I export it as and .stl in inches as unit and file format at ASCII and Binary , tried a bunch of ways..
    I like to use inches as the scale , is this possible ? , a simple task has become such an problem.

Thanks John

2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Go to thingiverse and download a cube from there. Plenty of test cubes can be found. Import that cube into your sketch up and then add your text to that.

The reason I am telling you to download a test cube it will give you an idea of what size you should be working in.

Can you convert your sketch up to mm? It's the preferred standard. Your Robo3d printer has a bed size in mm. This way when you are working on models you will be able to keep it within the bed size.

Some models from thingiverse are not centred and not laying flat on the bed. Import them into sketch up and fix their axis and orientation. You can even add supports yourself on some non printable models. Exports it as another model and try printing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Some of them are exported from being used with MakerBots.
    Those have different orientation vectors.

Easy to fix as you mentioned.

4. John H

John H Member

I just don't understand this.. I can perfectly model an object to my exact specs in sketch up. I tried different measurements from inches , to Millimeters, and centimeters . In the instructions from matter control it clearly say quote" The Presets options will convert the object from one unit of measurement into another. The default unit on the print bed is centimeters."
    so I thought make the model in centimeters .. Something is so wrong.
    anyhow Peter I tried looking for a cube on thingiverse, I found a bunch nothing that will work for me .
    I also have a full version of Maya 3d .. OMG might as well been in chinese . plus its taxing my Macbook .
    Thanks again for your help.. John.
    So I tried thinkerCad, ( crap not very fluid very herky jerky) , Inventor Fusion , same thing on my macbook very odd to use. Maya insane, and Blender well I won't pick that up soon..
    I really find sketch up perfect for my needs , just wish exporting to .stl and adding to matter control with the exact measurements was as easy as 123 , it should be. but something along the line is messed up. I'm thinking it has to with matter control . wonder if I use something other than matter control,,
    Also at the bottom in matter control I have a firmware update, should I do this? I read somewhere not to because you'll have revert back.. any comments on this perhaps this is the missing link to my problems..

5. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I suggest updating MC when it wants to. Try the new auto123 or whatever it's called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

It is interesting that you find Tinkercad "crap not very fluid very herky jerky" as I use it often and don't share that experience. With all of your other problems, I wonder if your Mac may be a part of the problem. Peter's suggestion about a test cube is a good one. Even if they don't suit your purpose, perhaps you can begin to narrow down your problems by printing a known design, like the 15mm cube, and see what happens. If you can reliably get your printer to do this one thing, others will follow. Finally, the printer doesn't care what units of measurement you use to design and export. It just takes the .stl instructions and prints them. If you are using Repetier, Cura, Matter Control... the standard ROBO and ReRap languages, you shouldn't need to be choosing file formats beyond what is generated by those programs. They speak both Mac and PC.

7. John H

John H Member

I used Peters Idea I found something I could use , I got it to import with the correct sizes, So I then reopened it up in sketch up and added some design to it and then exported it as an .stl and it printed mint.. but the same model took about 1hr to do what I had done in 5 mins in sketch up . it just seemed sketch up dosnt export as expected .
    I know thinkercad issue is probably my mac , ever since I upgraded to the new OsX i get the amazing pinwheel . time for a new mac i know.
    has anybody gotten sketchup to export with the correct sizes? thanks again Guys!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.