1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Inconsistent Filament Flow + Hobbed Bolt shards

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by gr8se, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gr8se

gr8se New Member

I am looking for any help regarding filament flow/ dust and shards in the hobbed bolt.

I have had many successful 1,2, and 3 micron prints, some over 20 hours long, but now I cannot even print the calibration cube. Please see my pictures and settings below. Hopefully I can get moving in the right direction again.

I can freely push filament through so I'm pretty certain that I don't have a partial extruder head clog. The hobbed bolt has been altered to many different tightnesses, as well as the spring bolts, and I still get inconsistent extrusion. My spool is feeding from the top. No matter what I do temperature wise the extrusion always ends up poor.

The pictures have the following settings:

ROBO 3d PLA PLASTIC - printed on painters tape.
    *LAYER HEIGHT - .2046 mm
    *PERIM SPEED - 30 mm *NUMBER OF PERIM - 2
    *FILL - 1 rectilinear *FILL SPEED - 30 mm *SOLID LAYERS - 5 bottom
    *EXTRUDER TEMP FIRST - 188 *EXTRUDER TEMP ALL - 175 *EXTRUDER RETRACTION - 3
    *FAN - 100

photo copy.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 2.JPG
    photo 1.JPG

2. gr8se

gr8se New Member

do I just replace the hobbed bolt?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The factory supplied hobbed bolt I got was not a very good one. I constantly fought similar issues.
    I upgraded it (actually bought 3 different ones and tried them all) to one I am happy with. All were from eBay, all were about $5. There are several other threads on here with details on different ones you can review to pick which one you think you want to try. I have NOT had this issue since.

Me? I would replaced it.

3 people like this.
  4. gr8se

gr8se New Member

Thanks a lot Mark, that's what I have to do. Any theories on why I was able to print very well for about 3 weeks before having this problem?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, when it comes to the hobbed bolt I have only wild guesses. It took me over a month to get to the point where I was getting everything else correct enough to even look at the hobbed bolt :) But I had been cleaning shavings out all along.

6. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  7. Denys Dmytriyenko

Denys Dmytriyenko Active Member

I've read that thread and will probably end up ordering the hobb myself. Someone mentioned Robo3D reversed hobb orientation in November, and indeed, my hobb has the new reversed orientation with nut in the large gear, not the bolt's head. Looking closely the hobb grooves are upside-down, i.e. it gets better grip for retractions...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

8. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Mine's the same Denys. I ordered 2 new hobbed bolts, one with the hobb at 15mm (reversed orientation) and one at 25mm (bolt head in large gear orientation) though I'm not sure if it will line up properly. I picked 25mm as it's the normal hobb position for the wade extruder and tesseract was using one at 26mm so I figured I'd give it a go. I'll let you know the results once I fit it.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All three of the non-stock hobbs I have are slightly differently aligned hobbed sections, but they come with washers that make lining up the hobbed section a breeze (you add washers on one side or the other).

The one thread Galaxius pointed out has the vendor (jaisol0) who will cut the hobb exactly to match the stock one if that matters to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.