1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Inconsistent layers, clogs up and keeps going.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by zenekNY, Oct 25, 2015.

1. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Hi! My girlfriend asked me to print her a figurine and after leaving it for a night and checking it in the morning it has messed up layers in it. It is a 4 piece Mickey mouse that I printed at a 50% speed and 20% infill. Temperatures 200/55 PLA.
    I calibrated the extruder and it is spot on, 100mm extrudes 100mm exactly. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445794732.265812.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445794744.202751.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445794752.756409.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Seasoning?
    (or an oiler?)

3. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I run an oiler constantly ever since I couldn't get it through the first 5 layers at the beginning.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your model or one you know others have printed?

I have not seen PLA fail in quite that way befor e:)

5. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

This has never happened to me either, usually it just clogs and never goes past the clog. The person who posted the model on a thingiverse has mentioned something about using a brim to help ABS sticking to the bed. I used PLA with supports to make sure the head didn't roll or anything. I will probably try the brim option. He posted a pictures of a print that failed http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:408861

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yours doesn't look like a failure where a brim would help, but give it a go.

7. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I think, that maybe if it tilted a little bit, it could clog up. But all three parts were printed at the same time and it doesn't look like it had tilted at all

8. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I just found out that the vegetable oil that I use to oil the fillament is getting sticky when it dries out! I'm using the spool holder mounted in the back of the robo so the fillament is dragging a little bit on the enclosure, and where it's dragging it leaves residue of the oil which after three days of not running the printer got veeeeery sticky. I think that I should use something else than the vegetable oil. What are your suggestions, what are you using?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

?
    Where is the oiler?
    It should be directly above the extruder mechanism... not outside the case.

Canola oil is the perfect one to use.

10. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Ohhh snap! That's what it is? Mine is on top of the enclosure and sometimes slips down on to the reel and just rides the filament by the reel. It is still oiling it, just it leaves residue on the case. Initially I was afraid of the oiler being in the way between enclosure and extruder body and that, if I placed it by the extruder body it would excessively drip on to it (I know it should be just a little dampened and not dripping).

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This one mounts directly on the extruder where the two screws go in for tension.

Attached Files:

12. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I'll check it out tomorrow, thank You!

13. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

Do you think that using a different spool holder would help a little too? I kinda like the one mounted in the back. I don't want to use the top mount because my printer stands on a drawer unit and it would look stupid if I made it any taller. image.jpg

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As long as it feeds smoothly it is fine.

15. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I also ordered a hatchbox filament on amazon. I've read some positive recommendations on it. What's your opinion? The ones I used before are ebay crap.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have printed 2 dozen or more spools of the 'cheap eBay crap' with no issues. It generally does what it says on the tin.

However, in all fairness, when I want something to turn out really nice I always go with brand-name stuff like ColorFabb. Hatchbox is probably just fine.

17. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

I by far didn't have a perfect print from the Robo yet, I ran into an every issue known to me by far, from Z ribbing, clogs, overheating, skipping layers, to bent X stepper shaft and many more. I think that now most of the issues are out of the way but these filaments suck. I tried different sellers and brands but, they're still clogging up. Yesterday I tried printing a different spool holder but it stopped in to a 1/2 of the first layer. I could see how it slows extruding down until it completely stopped.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Unless the filament is wildly out of spec size-wise that is not likely a filament issue.
    I am not saying it is impossible, not a chance :) I just have run the gamut of filament and suppliers and even the crappier filament was all acceptably printable. Some of it was wet (which led to surface and finish imperfections) and some was a bit out of range for print temperatures (at least the best temperatures were somewhat low or high). However none of it was ever unprintable.

Some of the worst stuff I EVER tried to print was the stupid sample 'blue' filament that Robo included with the printer. That stuff was ... horrid.

19. zenekNY

zenekNY Member

To be honest, I hever had a chance to compare Robo's sample to other filaments I got. That's because not a single one has fully worked for me. I'm all jealous looking at other people's nice prints, while every single one of mine has one issue or another. If not blobbing then skipping layers.. But still determined to get the thing to work. This time I'm working one issue at the time.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, I think it safe to say this is not a filament issue.