1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Initial set-up

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Mortlock, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

David if you use Skype look me up at Jeff Janes or jj.tesseract and send me a request it will be a lot quicker
    We can double check you settings and maybe see why you were losing connection but hopefully it is fixed now

2. Godman

Godman New Member

I just got my robo3d. Sadly I'm seeing the same thing. I'm trying all sorts of combinations of unplug, replug USB, power cycle machine, wait for controller in machine to run out of power, etc.

I did manage to connect once after about an hour of trying. Everything seemed to be working well minus the X axis. When I hit +10 (on x axis manual control) repeatedly the hot end would move back and forward at random. It seems like the stepper control is just sending random signals, or, if there's an X axis sensor, it's sending random data back. If I can make that happen again I'll make a movie and send it along.

3. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

I am beginning to think that my problem is an intermittant hardware fault.

One question I need to ask is, when power is applied but no USB connection, should there be any lights on the board? I get an LED flash a couple of times on the ramps board and then nothing. I do get a continuous green LED on the power block.

When I attempt to connect with repetier that same LED (LED1) lights continuous.

4. Godman

Godman New Member

More results from my side. I tipped the printer up, and removed all connectors from controller board and reinserted. I found one connector (4 pin) where one of the wires wasn't inserted all the way, so I pushed that in. I still couldn't connect, so I located the board reset button. With power AND USB connected, I reset the board. After that, Repetier connected successfully AND the X control is working.

I guess I should now calibrate and try a test print. Wish me luck!

5. David Mortlock

6. Godman

Godman New Member

So, here's what I've learned. First, once connection is made, the printer is now working great... I'm a long way through a very good PLA print of Mr. Jaws. So, I'm thrilled about that. What I've found about getting to connect in the first place is:
    - Turn on printer & laptop
    - Connect
    - It will say commands waiting.
    - Reach under printer and hit reset on the controller board... there's a little button on the side.
    After that, connection will actually happen.

I have Repetier Mac 0.56 on OS X 10.8.5, connecting via a USB port on my laptop (a macbook pro 2012 edition).

7. David Mortlock

My connection problem is now solved and I can connect reliably every time.

In discussion with Jeff (tesseract) it was discovered that I have a different board from him and mine seems to draw a larger current, 200mA as opposed to 100mA

Details of boards are as follows :-

Mine
    TAURINO - ATmega 2560 :

Product ID: 0x204b
    Vendor ID: 0x03eb (Atmel Corporation)
    Version: 88.88
    Serial Number: 852353530373512082B0
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: RRD (www.ta
    Location ID: 0x14200000 / 2
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 200

Jeffs

Arduino Mega 2560:

Product ID: 0x0010
    Vendor ID: 0x2341
    Version: 0.01
    Serial Number: 752373336363514180D0
    Manufacturer: Arduino (www.arduino.cc)
    Location ID: 0x14100000 / 16
    Current Required (mA): 100

After a little consideration I wondered if my USB port was not supplying sufficient current for the board so I inserted a powered USB hub into the USB connection. Result was immediate success.

My setup is MacBook Pro (mid 2012 model) running OS X 10.9

8. David Mortlock

Printer is shutting down when I connect due to MAXTEMP on hot end.

As you can see from the screenshot I have not turned the hotend on and the setting is 210deg.

I have no idea what is up. Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 05.58.40.jpg

9. David Mortlock

On attached pic you will see the temp as I connect. You will then see where I request a temp of 190 and then turn heat off. Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 09.20.08.jpg

10. Raven Garza

Raven Garza New Member

I am having the exact same issue. When I press connect a slight whining noise comes from the printer for a few seconds. Is that normal? Also, I was wondering if either of you bought yours assembled or what? I bought mine assembled to avoid issues like this. I don't have much experience tinkering with electronics. I did locate the reset button to no avail.

11. Godman

Godman New Member

Resetting stopped working for me. Any advice on which USB hub to use?

As far as the hot end temp sensor issue goes... you remember I had that weird thing with the X axis control being crazy (printer would make horrible noises and the hot end would move in random X directions for every command). I think that problem was one of the wires on the controller board had come loose. You might want to do what I did, which was remove connectors, check the wires, and make sure none are loose.

12. themightyglow

themightyglow New Member

Hi guys,

I am having the same issue. I get up the Repetier software, according to the video the fellows made. I plugged in the printer, and plugged into the USB, and pressed connect. It seems to be connected, but I have a message at the bottom that says 3952 FPS Unknown Printer firm..., Waiting for temperature.

I'll try the turning on and off thing, but this shouldn't be the solution.

I am using a top of the line Mac Book Pro 13"

Thank You

13. themightyglow

themightyglow New Member

I bought mine assembled, and I am having the exact same problem.
    I understand that there might be some bugs at setup, but I assume there is a simple fix for this...

14. James

James Member

Hmmm... someone mentioned a usb hub?

15. c01000100

c01000100 New Member

- Same issues here...MacBook Pro 13 Retina(maybe usb3 is the problem?)

- Printer shows up as:

TAURINO - ATmega 2560 :

Product ID: 0x204b
    Vendor ID: 0x03eb (Atmel Corporation)
    Version: 88.88
    Serial Number: 852353530373512082B0
    Manufacturer: RRD (www.ta
    Location ID: 0x14200000 / 2
    Current Required (mA): 200

- Repetier connects, and shows commands waiting

- Tried all combinations of power-up / plug-in that I can think of

- No USB hub on hand to try, but will if necessary...I think what's actually being accomplished there is downgrading from usb3 to usb2

- Reset button on board yielded no results

- Printer lights come on(green led for usb, yellow for power with no usb)

- Connect button causes gentle whir for a few seconds

- Manual controls (Print Panel on Mac) only increase commands waining count

- Seeing unknown printer firmware status message

- Looks like my setup is the same as David Mortlock, but without a USB hub

- Bought mine pre-assembled; found a wire on the board slightly bent to the side, causing two other pins to short; straightened the pins(no more shorts), reconnected the connector, still no change, no apparant damage to any wires or board

- I haven't seen much activity on this forum in the way of actual resolve. Anyone have the solution?

16. Matheo Stravlas

Can't help you because I don't have mine already . But a powered Usb up look the first think to look after. Just saw that a month ago on the forum :)
    Hope you good luck with the robo :)

17. c01000100

c01000100 New Member

- Tried on a my iMac - still no resolve. Definitely can't pin it as a usb3 problem. Exact same results

- Also tried Emergency Stop command, as it's the only command button that actually seems to communicate with the control board. I thought that through trying different stopbits and parity settings, I would get varied return messages, and I did, but then using the Robo3D recommended settings, sending the Emergency Stop still gives varied log outputs. Tried different speeds too, which of course generated more varied log messages. I would post the log results, but there's nothing readable. It's all sorts of combinations of special characters, as one would expect with incorrect communications settings.

- Looking for a powered USB hub next, but with little hope.

18. David Mortlock

I think you will find the powered USB hub will work, it certainly worked for me. Just remember not to plug anything else int the hub, people have reported problems when they do this.

19. c01000100

c01000100 New Member

So, I haven't started my first print job yet, but I ran through all my boxes of stuff from my move recently, and found a handful of alternate USB printer cables. The printer cable in deed was my stumbling block. Repetier is now allowing me manual head movement control. Tomorrow I'll try my first print.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.