1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Inner diameters coming out two small

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Trama, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Trama

Trama Member

So I am printing a part to fit around a drill bit shaft. The outer diameter is perfect but the inner diameter is off by .5mm

Any idea why this would happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Uh, depends on the type of filament and the size of the model, but filament is not static when extruded. Some swell a little (others a good bit more) some shrink a little (and others a good bit more).

All of that has to be accounted for in the model. Sometimes you can just make standard assumptions, but it depends on how that particular filament behaves in your printer environment. PLA. ABS, Nylon (of at least 4 flavors), PET, PETG (this is only a partial list) all of these behave a bit differently.

3. Trama

Trama Member

I'm using pla. The outer diameter of the model is 15.4mm and inner should be 9.6mm. It's printing at 9.1.

I made a circle calibration file similar to the cube calibration that matter hackers has. That prints fine on the inside.

Not sure if the model might be to dense and if that could cause it.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The percentage of infill you have it set to will matter since (for example) if a filament shrinks say 5% then when you have a higher infill there is more shrinkage that will occur (same is true if the filament swells).

5. Trama

Trama Member

I was printing with a .5 infill simply because there are small arms that end up being hollow and easily snap.

I am getting the feeling I need to just switch to simplify3d as my slicer.