1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Is my printer working well?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ssshake, Jul 15, 2014.

?

How does this compare to your high quality prints?

1. Better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. On Par

33.3%
  3. Worse

66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssshake

ssshake Member

Hey,

I just wanted people to take a look at my prints and tell me if this is on par with what to expect for low and high quality (I'll specify which photo is which)

I have some concerns with bridging and fill, and I spent some time in the first week of using this, troubleshooting (all nighters). Before I press on I just want some feed back from people who CURRENTLY own a robo3d to tell me how this compares to the types of prints they have.

First and foremost, is this normal? When printing the prep outline it's set to print two lines. But every time it looks like it's an inch or so behind at the starting point. Look at the top right corner. Should the start and finish actually meet, or is the gap on the first line normal?

[​IMG]

I'm having bridging issues and some fill issues. However despite that some of my high quality prints looks very good. Not sure what to expect to be considered a "great" print.

Here's an extreme bridge attempt I know. But even quarter inch bridges are failing hard, as shown in some photos below. Basically I'm printing with 100% infill because the bridging is so bad.

[​IMG]

Regarding fill, this circle calibration seems to print very nicely on high quality, but still the top layer fill has some missing spots.

[​IMG]

This low quality print, at the edges it's not aligned properly when it wraps around the end. So there's too much on one side (shown here) and a too little on the other side.

[​IMG]

This one turned out OK at low until it got towards the small parts at the top. I dont think it's cooling enough, staying too soft.

[​IMG]

From left to right it's low, medium, high quality. The HQ one turned out much better but it had top layer fill/bridge issues, shown in 2nd photo. IMO it has issues right after wrapping corners, (shown below and two up).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The whistle surprised me how good it looked on high, for the spot where it printed well like the logo. However the ball wont stick, I'm wondering if the whole piece isn't cooling enough somehow, since the ball time and again will get knocked over by the print head since it's not adhering at its base well.

[​IMG]

#1 ssshake, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They look good. Just need to graduate to a new filament

3. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

You might need to calibrate your extrusion rate. Is that with the stock hotend? The whistle looks damn nice. To try fix the ball getting knocked over make sure your configured to do a z lift on retraction, 0.4mm should do the trick.

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

"When printing the prep outline it's set to print two lines. But every time it looks like it's an inch or so behind at the starting point. Look at the top right corner. Should the start and finish actually meet, or is the gap on the first line normal?"​

Those skirt loops are completely normal. The hot end is oozing out some plastic while it is waiting to get itself and the bed to temperature. This causes a delay when the skirt first starts until the filament feed catches up. This is one of the reasons for specifying skirt loops.

That bridging is pretty bad. My guess is you have a problem with a combination of poor auto cooling settings, bridging speed, and perhaps the filament and filament temp.

All the curled up cube edges and melted spires are due to auto cooling settings.

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Can't tell directly from the first image but a quick scan indicates to me the the intial height may be off just a tiny bit which could be the reason the ball on the whistle is not sticking well. I see a slight line in the between the to skirt lines in that image and can't tell if it is a gap or if it is filament. The absolute best first layer you can get is if the material is flattened down enough to make the side of each line of the skirt match perfectly against the other and be the same height as the layer itself. It should appear as a single line.
    _first layer example-small.jpg
    This image shows a very good first layer. You can see the skirt on this starts out the same way yours did but notice in the skirt how the two lines actually look like a single line only the smallest of edges of each line are visible especially in the skirt. The one really obivous line in the print itself was a test I was doing by manually lifting the z axis while it was printing just as an experiment to see how much vertical movement is needed to see a change in the layer height turns out not too much at all.

Also the use of a brim for the print may also get the ball to stay stuck as well.

Over all though I think the prints are very good at this stage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.