1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Is this a good deal??

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DoctorFuzz99, Sep 16, 2015.

1. DoctorFuzz99

DoctorFuzz99 New Member

Hi All,

I have looked at a lot of the newer 3D printers coming up on KickStarter etc. and they are all getting up there in price so that was not the first option for me. Just by coincidence I came across a Robo R1 that is about one year old being sold stock with no upgrades along with six spools of filament for what I think is a good price CDN$800 shipped to my door. For all our American folks that is about US$640.

Is this a good deal? Honestly I think it is, I am just a little hesitant about it because of all the bad things I have read on the forum about the stock software and a few things about the extruder head and rails.

Suggestions, comments anything to help me out before I say yes and hand over the cash?

I use tons of CAD at work and we have a larger unit, but printing my stuff on it is a non-starter given all the eyes watching it. I would mainly be looking for conceptual models for my own mechanical designs and stuff for kids etc. etc. My main goal is quality and also build volume and Robo R1 seems to have the volume, quality the forum would have to say yes or no.

Thank you all!
    Scott

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

That would depend entirely on whether anything was broken on the R1 you're looking at. At over a year old, you wouldn't get any official support from Robo either since you didn't buy it refurbished from them.

For everything I've gone through with my particular Robo R1 unit, I'd suggest you either save up another $200 and get the new R1+ or get one of the 3D printer kits like this HICTop kit and use it to learn how the printer actually works vs. finding out via the crapshoot of buying a used unit from someone you don't know.

3. DoctorFuzz99

DoctorFuzz99 New Member

It is in running condition....just not close enough to see running. I would normally agree with buying new vs. used on something electronic and/or finicky like a 3D printer. However to put it into context the new price by the time it hits my door will be about $1150 is another $400 more with exchange and taxes. Its a 50:50 on what to do I know. Aside from where I buy it, does the Robo do nice smooth (Relative I know...) high resolution prints?

4. daniel871

5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

That 1150 is what he means it will cost him for new.

And that Amazon one you listed is US shipping only..

Printed Solid likes this.
  6. daniel871

7. DoctorFuzz99

DoctorFuzz99 New Member

KTM you are correct. I do have a US address as well as a Canadian address so shipping is not a big deal, the exchange rate is. Since the oil market tanked and the housing recovery has come back in the US our dollar has started to slide. I remember two years ago one Canadian dollar would buy $1.08 US.....it was good times then buying everything including the kitchen sink on my weekly trips to Detroit. I work for a huge auto parts supplier....V16 CAT blocks, LS1 Corvette heads to F250 transmission parts and Honda cams.

At $640 with six spools and it being in working condition I think it is reasonable, just looking for a few other opinions. We will probably get a sintered metal printer like and Eos at some point in the next year, but using it for fun is another story.

8. daniel871

I'd ask for more specifics on the filament spools. If it's T-glase or PET+ or PETG or Nylons, it would be worth a fair bit more than a pile of PLA or ABS.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you are willing to work on it then it is likely in running or "close enough" shape :)

I just bought a used Robo Beta (thanks @Printed Solid !) and am still in the process of rebuilding it now. Was it working before I got it? I am sure it was, but now it will have an E3D and a heated bed and the upgraded lead screws... I just need a couple more hours of mucking about with it :)

10. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I'd agree with Mark. I think you're probably getting a good buy at 6 spools of filament plus the printer. It is worth keeping in mind that the R1 from 1 year ago tended to suffer from some pretty nasty ribbing, and IIRC, also had some problems with poorly made heat breaks on the hot ends. So, you'll want to consider an extra $100 or so to upgrade the hot end to an E3D.

You also have to consider quality. To get a really smooth surface finish on that vintage of Robo, you'll almost certainly need to upgrade from the flexible couplings and M8 thread to rigid couplings (or no couplings) and acme thread like the R1 Plus.

FYI, voxelfactory.com in Quebec carries most of the same upgrades we do here in the states.

11. DoctorFuzz99

DoctorFuzz99 New Member

I will see what the seller says, seems like he purchase it less the 12 months ago. I am fine with mechanical changes...electrical is another story :)
    The forums have been pretty good so far....I will keep reading.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck. It is more likely to need mechanical tuning rather than electrical.

13. Nick C.

Nick C. Member

Get a flashforge dreamer. Love mine. Used it for a year no major problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk