1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PLA Jamming with certain filaments

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Michael DiFilippo, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

So I just was trying a print with some ProtoParidigm filament, material I've used a few times before with minimal to no problems. But this time around within 10 layers the hobbed bolt totally chewed up the filament. I tried twice more with slower speeds and same issues. Switched out and used some Robo PLA and its currently going onto 40+ layers. Just wondering what could cause this?

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

That is weird. Maybe it's out of spec on diameter? Another more obscure possibility is crystallinity is higher on that batch for some reason. Did you try cranking up the heat?

3. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Thanks for the reply Matt, I usually do a 3 point check on the diameter to get a good number for the settings but haven't tried upping the temp. I'll do that next time I print with it.

4. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

I was having something similar happened I changed every setting. Then I got the idea to run the printer with the z axis way below the head. So basically I just had a head extruding into mid air and it never jammed, I concluded that the filament I was using was too much resistance by printing on a surface and thus it backed up and jammed.

5. BearsFan20

BearsFan20 New Member

Could be bad filament and like they eluded before that it is possible that the diameter is inconsistent. Those are the two things i have found clogs up nozzles when printing.