1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Just got printer ... not working.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ballhogjoni, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

I just got my printer, but I can't get Repetier to send commands to the printer. I connect successfully and the software says connection opened. When I connect the printer it makes a sound like a motor is spinning but nothing happens. On the print panel it says 5 commands waiting. I am using the latest Repetier for Mac.

2. Dark09

Dark09 New Member

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are you on a macbook air by chance?

Apparently the usb ports on some macs are underpowered to drive the arduino board. People have fixed this by using a powered usb hub.

4. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

I followed the settings via the videos, but wasn't working. I had multiple usb extensions hooked up. I disconnected all of them and moved my macbook next to the printer. Just connected the one usb cable that came with the printer and now it's all working.

5. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

of course now it's not connecting again. i will have to try the powered usb hub.

6. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

The microcontroller for the Robo3D is powered off of the USB port (the motors, extuder and heatbed are powered by the power supply in the printer). This means that the USB port must have enough power to do so. It'll fire up some parts of the board but others just won't have enough power do much.

A powered USB hub will help. You do NOT want other devices attached to the hub since they'll drain power from it. Also it may take a moment for the printer to respond after connection. On my Mac Pro, it take about 15 seconds for it to go from "5 commands..." to "Idle"

7. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

Awesome Melody. Thanks for the response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.