1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Large fan on back of extruder head assembly dead?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adepino, Aug 2, 2015.

1. adepino

adepino Member

Id been having trouble with prints sticking to the bed, and after messing with settings and trying to print about 8 times, I haven't been able to do anything that works... Ive adjusted the Z offset up and down to where it looks good, but nothing will stick. Ive been using Kapton tape, which has been working amazing for PLA, I put a new sheet on today, and now nothing will stick period... could it be a bad sheet? that would be strange...

#1 adepino, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The fan attached to the extruder itself is the extruder cooling fan. That must always run when the extrduer is hot. If not, stop. Replace it before trying to print.

The fan near the extruder that blows on the part you are printing is the parts cooling fan. Sometimes this runs, sometime not. It is controlled by the slicer. Normally off for at least the few couple of layers and always off for ABS.

3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

Since he said large fan, I'm assuming he's talking about the 40mm parts fan and not the 25mm fan. As Mark said, this fan is usually off for the first few layers. What slicer are you using? You should be able to tell your slicer to tell your printer to turn on the parts fan. If it does, then it is working.

I've never tried straight Kapton tape, but I've had great success with both hair spray and washable glue sticks. Maybe experiment with other methods. It's weird that it just started not working. Are you using the exact same spool of PLA?