1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Last layer not finishing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ali Eldessouky, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ali Eldessouky

Ali Eldessouky New Member

I have been printing a cube to test settings and practice on getting a good print. I got it to print well except for the fact that it keeps not finishing the last layer. Every time it stops about 7 strides short. Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks

2. Matthias

Matthias Member

Which slicer do you use? I also have this from time to time, but only one or two missing. I usually use Cura, but I figured this won't happen with Slic3r.

3. Ali Eldessouky

I am using slic3er, it's happened the same way 7 times on the same model but it's just a simple 1 x 1 x 1 cube. I will be trying some other models to see if it happens with them also. I assume it will happen with other models as it seems like something in the settings for it to happen on a plain cube design.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think it has to do with the delay in communication between repetier and the response from the printer. It seems to be it sends the kill command too soon and it was cutting off the last bit of the print. At least that's my best guess.

When I changed my top/bottom fill to be concentric I no longer had incomplete prints so I don't know if that theory is accurate or not.

For me when I left it on rectilinear my nozzle tip would drop into the print afterwards for some reason as well.

5. Ali Eldessouky

That looks like it may solve the problem. I will try it out and let you know if it works for me also. Thank you guys for the help.

6. Ali Eldessouky

I tried you suggestion and although the part looks better since the infinished layer is now in the center of the part. It is still not finishing the last layer. I also looked closer at the part in slic3r once its been sliced and I noticed slicer itself is not finishing the last layer. So the printer is doing what its told to do but for some reason slic3r is not finishing the last layer.

Attached Files:

7. Ali Eldessouky

wow, *your and *unfinished

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The first picture looks normal. Did that not print properly? The second one looks like it can't manage to fill in that middle part of the print normally. Maybe try straight instead of concentric or rectilinear.

9. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Are your prints coming out stringy? Looks like you may have something weird going on with edge width over height. If I recall, when I first installed slic3r, there were some odd things set in the advanced settings. They should all be set to 0 or 0.4 until you get more comfortable with your printer and start adjusting them intentionally for experiments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.