1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Latest bed surface prep.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Wesley Knapp, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Wesley Knapp

Wesley Knapp Active Member

So has anyone else tried sugar water for bed adhesion? Theoretically the sugar should crystalize as is dehydrates leaving a nearly microscopic jagged surface.

It works!

I have a 2 oz misting bottle. I filed it with warm water. Added 2 sugar cubes. Shook it until the sugar was completely disolved.

Cold bed application test:
    Misted onto bed. Let dry. Took about 10 minutes and 2 coats before I felt confident there was enough grip just by feeling it the surface of the glass was still glossy but the first test print (with bed heat) worked great.

Hot bed application test:
    Waited until bed was up up standard hot temp. Misted onto bed. Dehydrated within a minute. I felt the surface and it was tacky. So I let it dry another minute at which time it seemed good to go. This time the bed wasn't as glossy but and I felt it would perform even better. First print on this surface also adhered perfectly.

Here's the real kicker... Although test prints were well adhered laterally, removal was a breeze when lifting vertically off the bed. A blade entered just slightly under any edge surface and the object pops right off. Second print without reapplying adhered just as well and popped off just as well.

Third print I did was a 20mm wide tube and 60mm tall with no raft or skirt and it held perfect as well.

Cleanup:
    Washcloth damped with warm water had it cleaned off with no residue on about 15 seconds.

Verdict:

Looks like a great alternative to me. CHEAP, lasts (how long is yet to be determined), easy cleanup, no overspray or smell.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.