1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Laybrick

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Michael DiFilippo, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Well, I have been trying to print with laybrick for two days now but haven't had any luck. After about the first 2 layers the filament jams up just past the bearing and hobbed bolt. Not sure what is causing this but it is a pain as I then have to take off the hot end to pull out the broken filament.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

A few questions do the first few layers look good? When do you notice the issue and what happens to let you know it had failed? Does it fail at the same place in the same print not thinking coding but how long it may take before it fails is that in anyway consistant?Is it during infil or perimeter printing when it fails?

3. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

It gets about 3 layers done, the reason I notice it fails is because the extruder is above the object and nothing is coming out. I believe it is due to the hobbed bolt. I have a new one on order so once it comes in I'll give it another go.

4. JDM_

JDM_ New Member

Look in Repitier and make sure that your model has no gap between the model and print surface. I had an issue like this and it was because there was an error in the model which caused it to look like it was touching but it wasn't... Does this make since?

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

A good little test to help identify a hobbed bolt issue is when this occurs see if pushing to filament slightly down into the extruder sort of help it do what it should be doing by itself and see if it starts printing normally again if it does then you know that the filament is slipping in that area if it stops again the the hobbed bolt may be caked with filament if it is really caked you may also be able to actually pull the filament completely out which you normally should not be able to doif that happens check to see if the bolts holding the filament locked in are either too tight or too loose. it is a fine line. Too tight and they cause the filament to be ground into the hobbed bolt, too loose and they do not cause enough friction to actually move the filament.

2 people like this.