1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Layers slipping

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by keraynopoylos, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

Actually similar issue to the thread called offset layers.

On my last few prints I occasionally see some layers slipping. The print continues normally after that.

On this last print it got worse. You can see a slight slip close to the start of the print but on the last 15-20 layers it got rather terrible and kept happening to the end of the print(7 hours wasted btw). Speed setting left to default.

The slipping occurs along the Y axis(my cursed axis as I'm having other problems I have posted in the private technical support subforum about).

There is no way I can check the firmness of the Y belt the way Seshan has proposed(pinch the belt and see if they meet easily) as the Y belt is "single line" so nothing to push together.

Any ideas?
    image.jpg image.jpg

2. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

PClabtech mentioned in the chat box that it could be the glass slipping, You could try clipping the glass down with some binder clips or some tape.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a good suggestion, we ended up doing that very thing (binder clips) on ours for that reason.
    IMHO, the clips provided for the bed/glass are not ideal.

4. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

IEHO(in everyones humble opinion) those clips dont work well at all...

ill both tighten the Y belt and tape the boro down and hope fr the best...

5. da9l

da9l Member

Hi all!
    Interesting thread.

I've got an ABS with boro Robo3D as well and while I haven't encountered layer offsets, I'm experiencing other but similar problems. Could they also be attributed to a loose boro glass?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dx6rhsktbyu6uke/20131019_123848_fs_ebox.jpg
    Printed with colorfabb PLA/PHA at 210C. 0.2 layer thickness. Bed temp 60C. 5mm Brim and support.
    • I get repeated vertical patterns both on the X and the Y axis in the vertical walls. (see the red rectangles in the linked image)
    • I see "echoes" after holes in a vertical surface. (see the red ellipsis in the linked image)
    Regards and thanks all you people that are part of this great community!
    /Daniel

6. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

Sorry, havent played with ABS yet. Not before I resolve various bed level issues I have.

7. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

OK, Y belt tightened on both ends(both clips, back and front) by two teeth on each side. It is DEFINATELY tight now.

Also secured boro with tape.

Print restarted. Its goanna take a while...

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure about the X and Y issues yet but the echoes have been previously called ringing and I had that as well mine was even clearer You can really see how it just fades out I adjusted the overall speed settings and slowed stuff down a bit and it seems to have cleared it up as my recent print do not show it much any more. Hope this helps
    ringing example.jpg

I was just thinking about the x y and I would make a cursory guess that it is the bed slipping. The bed is the most critical part of the print if it can move it most likely will and when it does it will cause issues.

So if anyone see the possibility of the bed slipping it needs to be secured with tape or something

9. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

Unfortunately I've had the same issue on the same object. Again I've tightened the Y belt(two teeth tighter on each end) and used tape to keep teh bed from moving. The tape on the X axis might have been a bit loos, but I'm certain that it held completely in place on the Y axis.

Here are the pics.(print was stopped-it's not the finished product-it was obvious it would keep slipping-happened about 100 layers sooner this time)

image1.jpeg photo.JPG

10. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

hmm is it happening at the same exact location if so there may be a condition that is occurring that is causing it versus a straight mechanical issue

11. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

Not sure what you mean by same location Jeff.

Its the same object, same settings, happened on the same axis(Y) and towards the same direction(towards the front), on earlier layers(about 100 layers earlier). I didnt let it finish, so might not seem too dramatic to some of you. If I did, it would end up worse than the one from my previous post.

It isn't the bed(was secure) or the belts(tightened as per our discussion of yesterday).

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

is the z height the same where these occur or is it pretty much anywhere

This next idea is a bit of a longshot.
    On those normal looking layers can they be peel up easily
    if they do then try increasing the heat on the extruder by about 10C
    what you see there happens to me but only when ther was nothing to stick to on the previous layer like when doing a bridge and one possiblity may be that it may be at the temp where it hardens enough not to let the next layer adhere well

13. keraynopoylos

keraynopoylos New Member

Object is rock-solid, no peeling at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.