1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Layers smearing! Fixes?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jbigler1986, Mar 18, 2015.

1. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

I was wondering if anyone knows a solution to this smearing problem. The first few layers go down perfect without any issues. Then like the 3rd layer is seems like it's to low and kinda smears the layer. Then it's messed up like that for the next few layers. Not sure if it's a problem with the model I'm printing or another issue.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it only happens with one model then try to repair the model (Netfabb free edition has repair options, Simplify3D has repair options). You could have something awry with the model itself (manifold error or something similar).

If it is generic then you need to check your Z steps/mm and check for over extrusion. Those are the two things that come to mind immediately.

3. jbigler1986

Must be the model itself. All other layers and other models don't have this issue. I usually use netfabb basic. I didn't run it through since Repetier didn't give me a watertight error or any other error. Does netfabb repair stuff without me actually see the repair? Normally it has errors when a part needs repaired. Good practice to always run my part through it I guess.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am not terribly familiar with netfabb. I do remember importing models and repairing them and I don't think that was automatic (but I haven't used it in a while).

5. jbigler1986

So I fixed it. What I did was increased my temp from 188 to 194, lowered first layer height to .2 from .35 and repaired the part with netfabb.