1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

LCD Controller upgrade and underside electonics cooling fan on R1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by danzca6, Jul 29, 2015.

1. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I am looking at buying the XXL LCD Controller from printed solid, but when I see installs of this I see an issue in the making. I have the R1 with the bottom cover that has a fan that blows across the circuit board. When you plug in the controller ribbon cable, it looks like it really blocks the fan from being affective anymore. Do others that have installed this controller relocate the fan? I am going to print the feet and swivel pod for the controller that Mike Kelly designed. I guess having the printer up a bit will improve the air flow, but was thinking that maybe I should put a fan blowing down onto the board. That might be a problem with the bottom plate though. Any thoughts?

Sorry I am a total noob and didn't find any other threads addressing this issue. Sorry if this is a dup.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There were long ago earlier fans threads before the R1 started having them.
    I imagine the wiring can be routed to not be an issue with the fan.

The fan I installed on my beta pulls across the ramps and out the bottom front on the printer (right about where the Robo logo is on the bottom front panel). So you could remount the fan if you are really worried.

3. danzca6

Thanks for the reply. Being that you have the beta version, you don't have the bottom plastic plate right? I like your idea of relocation of the fan and wire management. l was thinking with the extra space from the feet, I could even mount the fan on the plate outside blowing in through some cut hole(s). I guess I will just need to order it up and scope things out more when it arrives to see how bad it really is. The videos I saw might have made it look worse than it is. Thanks again for helping out a noob. :)

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Correct no bottom cover, but no feet either.
    I just cut a hole right beside the RAMPS on the front as I described and mounted the fan (3" muffin 1/2" deep) right beside the RAMPS pulling air across it and out the bottom.

5. danzca6

You know, that actually might be better than blowing air onto the board since it might reduce dust build up. Just thinking of the joys of opening up a PC for the first time in awhile and all the dust bunnies. Maybe I should keep the plate off. Thanks again for helping me think this through. I did dig further in the threads to see what folks came up with for putting the fan in the Beta versions prior to the lid. It's great to see how creative everyone is in this forum.