1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved MakerGeeks PLA clogging

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 90AWDeclipse, Mar 23, 2015.

1. 90AWDeclipse

90AWDeclipse New Member

Hello, this is my first post and I'm new to 3d printing. I purchased my Robo 3d around the second week of February this year, and it's worked flawlessly till now. I recently purchased some filament from makergeeks.com. Soulful blue, white hot, dark as night black, safety orange, and royal purple. All PLA filaments. I have been trying to print the white hot and souful blue colors for the past couple days, and I cannot get any good prints. The printer keeps having a very inconsistent clog. I hear it skipping and see the filament just barely coming out of the nozzle. If I pull the filament out and cut off the mangled piece it will run for a bit then clog again.

Things I have tried to resolve the issue.

Temps ranging from 190-220 (honestly makes no difference other than under 200 its really hard to extrude by hand)
    I took apart the extruder cleaned everything, torched the nozzle, and made sure there were no debris.
    Extruder fan is working.
    Slowed down the speed from 60mm/s to 50mm/s on all print movements

The thing that really blows my mind is that I'm currently printing with the robo red PLA, and at 210 its printing perfect. No clogging at all, and it's feels like it extrudes so much easier by hand. If anyone has used this filament or can give me some suggestions on what to try next I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

-Alex

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. 90AWDeclipse

90AWDeclipse New Member

Alright I'll be printing that right after this print, and I'll give it a try. I didn't see anyone talk about coconut oil. Can I use it?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Any high smoke point vegetable oil is fine.

5. 90AWDeclipse

90AWDeclipse New Member

Well I'm running my first print after being seasoned and with the oiler. Wish me luck :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. 90AWDeclipse

90AWDeclipse New Member

Yes! Print came out pretty good. No clogging but I am getting more stringy things and also some brownish looking bubbles through out the print. Its a darker color so it should be fine. I'll try to lower the heat a little bit, but I think this fixed my core problem. Thanks

7. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

Something else to watch out for with all filaments except PET(G) is that they are hygroscopic so keep the filament stored in an airtight container with some desiccant.

90AWDeclipse likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The stringing is generally (with PLA and/or ABS--not all filament types) a symptom of the extrude temperature being a little hot so fiddle with test prints and bump it down until you find the sweet spot. Then to keep it there use the storage style @Stephen Capistron mentioned. Otherwise it will move a bit as the filament absorbs water and the water absorption will cause slightly unsightly blemishes on the finish.

90AWDeclipse likes this.
  9. 90AWDeclipse

90AWDeclipse New Member

Alright thanks for all the help guys. It's printing well besides the brown bubbles. I actually think its oil. I guess I put a little to much in the oiler, and its seeping out my extruder after it builds up. As for a container. I have a large Rubbermaid tote with a bucket of rice inside, and when I get new filament I take the little packets and throw them in the rice to help.

On another topic. In matter control is there a way to print one item at a time? For example I have a box and a lid, but I want the box to be printed fully before it starts on the lid.

10. Stephen Capistron

Not that i'm aware of. If you set up Cura it has this feature.

11. 90AWDeclipse

90AWDeclipse New Member

Do you prefer Cura over Matter control? Are there other advantages to switching?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Simplify offers you Continuous printing (layer-by-layer) or sequential printing (object-by-object)

Choose this when you slice it.

90AWDeclipse likes this.
  13. 90AWDeclipse

90AWDeclipse New Member

Alright I'll give it a try on my next print. Even though it's going to be one object lol.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have found it can make a non-trivial difference. Sometimes object-by-object is better since otherwise by the time it gets back to the start to do another layer that layer is well and truly cool (so a larger temp delta).

15. 90AWDeclipse

90AWDeclipse New Member

I thought it might help with abs prints, because I was getting slight separation of layers right inline with the top of the other object.

16. Stephen Capistron

You can always specify a minimum layer time to allow more time for the previous layer to cool.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, but minimum layer time usually applies to the entire layer (including all objects). If doing object-by-object that helps, but layer-by-layer?