1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Matter Control stuck on "Attempting to connect"

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SnivyDroid, Nov 14, 2017.

1. SnivyDroid

SnivyDroid New Member

Ive been trying to get a old robo 3d r1 printer to work, so I got my old linux computer and installed mattercontrol, when I follow the instructions to the tee and the programs starts to connect, it just gets stuck on "attempting to connect". Any help?

EDIT: Manual connection also does not work

EDIT 2: All objects in queue say connection failed: unknown reason

#1 SnivyDroid, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not a MatterControl user, so can't really help there.
    Not heavy Linux user either :) but you might want to confirm the electronics are working correctly.
    Download/install the Arduino compiler (http://arduino.cc) and make sure you can connect to the printer.
    If so then you know it is a matter control specific issue.

Sanity check you are using the correct COM port (would be my first suggestion on Windows) assuming that is correct, try the other program or another slicer altogether.

#2 mark tomlinson, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  3. SnivyDroid

SnivyDroid New Member

Alright, will try later. I did do manual setup and the port i connected to is around the lines of "dev/tty/A__0" (dashes means i dont know.) If the port is broken, then well rip, if its the software, then ill go try cuda on a different pc.

4. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

I had the same problem with my new Robo R1+ under Ubuntu (16.04 and 17.04). I haven't resolved the issue, since I switched over to macOS to do the initial setup, then (per my original plan) hooked the printer up to a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi. This configuration works fine. (Note that OctoPi is Linux-based, so it's not a question of Linux being incompatible with the printer.) My suspicion is that the Arduino board in the printer requires the computer to send it firmware that's not installed by default in Ubuntu (and presumably by whatever distribution you're using, if it's not Ubuntu). In fact, Googling it, I found this page with instructions on setting up several Linux distributions to work with Arduino boards, so maybe you could follow those instructions and get it to work.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. SnivyDroid

SnivyDroid New Member

In the audrino IDE, it says board at com 1 is not avalible, and it just loads in mattercontrol

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure you don't try to do both at the same time :) Only one can lock the port at a time, but sounds like a bum COM port or a bad Arduino.

7. SnivyDroid

SnivyDroid New Member

I tried them seperately.

8. SnivyDroid

SnivyDroid New Member

the error always appears no matter if its plugged in to the printer or not

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, sounds like a COM port issue.

10. SnivyDroid

SnivyDroid New Member

on my windows, the IDE does the exact same thing with nothing attatched

11. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

Are you using the Arduino IDE from the same Linux box connected to the printer? If so, then that test won't get around a lack of firmware files in Linux, if that's what's causing the problem. Try plugging the printer into a computer running macOS or Windows. (Windows requires loading some drivers, IIRC.) Even if you don't want to use macOS or Windows for printing, this test will help isolate the problem -- if the other OS can talk to the printer, then you know the printer's hardware is OK; but if not, chances are you're looking at a fault in the printer hardware (or maybe a cable, if you use the same cable).

12. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

I found the culprit for my own instance of this problem, and it's one of those things that makes me cringe that I didn't think of it immediately: Device file permissions. When you plug in the printer, Linux creates a device file for it -- /dev/ttyACM0, with ownership by root:dialout on my system (running Ubuntu). As my normal user account was not a member of the dialout group, I did not have access to this file, so although MatterControl found the device file, it was unable to communicate through it. The best solution in this situation is to add yourself to the dialout group. When I did that, MatterControl was able to connect. (I had to log out and back in again, although I think there's a command that'll do the trick more elegantly than that.)

Note, however, that ownership and permissions rules vary from one distribution to another. Thus, if you're using something other than Ubuntu, you may need to add yourself to some group other than dialout or even create a custom udev rule to get it to work. If you need help with this, I can provide it, but I'll need information from you such as the distribution you're running, the permissions and ownership on /dev/ttyACM0 (or whatever device file Linux creates for the printer), and your ordinary user's group memberships. Running MatterControl as root would be another way around the problem, but that's hideously unsafe from a security point of view, and it'll create ownership headaches on any files that MatterControl creates, so I strongly recommend against doing it that way, except perhaps for a brief test if you can't get it to work by adjusting your group membership.

Also, note that I tried adding the Arduino packages suggested by the site to which I linked earlier before noting the permissions issue, so there's a possibility that these packages are required, too.